CHAPTER THREE

"Cedric, why do you look exhausted?" she questioned him, although, after his response, she honestly wished she didn't even bother with such a foolish question. He didn't even have to say anything, his grin said it all, leaving Eleanor and Marnie to roll their eyes and look away. No one needed the details of his intense snogging session with Cho.

Knowing that he was being judged by the two of them, Cedric made a face as he opened both of his eyes and sat up in his seat.

"Yeah, yeah, judge me all you want," he said, " but moving onto important matters, have you two heard about Sirius Black escaping Azkaban?"

Eleanor nodded her head, fully aware of who the famed mass-murderer was that had graced not only wizarding papers, but the front page of the muggle papers as well.

"I saw the picture of him while I was out collecting supplies," Eleanor admitted, " thankfully my mum doesn't like the news, so she hardly ever looks at the post. But there he was all over the Daily Prophet in Diagon Alley. Scary looking, isn't he? And not to mention, a mass murderer running loose isn't exactly the most comforting of thoughts."

"Aww, don't be scared, Wittle Ellie," Cedric cooed pulling her into his side, " I'll protect you."

Jabbing him in the side with one of her knitting needles, she caused Cedric to jump up and move across the way to sit next to Marnie while rubbing his side.

"Yes, you can't defend yourself against a knitting needle, but I'm supposed to expect you to protect me from the likes of Sirius Black. I feel so much safer now, my hero," Eleanor chuckled, wounding Cedric's pride and ego as he pouted in her direction.

With Cedric turning his attention to Marnie for the rest of the ride as a way of punishing Eleanor for her sassy comment, it didn't really serve as much of a punishment as Eleanor simply returned to her knitting. She could keep herself busy for hours especially when she was working towards finishing a piece. While she didn't know how much time had gone by, every so often she would lift her head to listen in on the conversation shared between her best friends, but it was usually bickering taking place.

The two tended to argue like an old married couple the majority of the time, Cedric hardly ever won any of the arguments though. But it kept Eleanor amused as she worked on the ending of a scarf, focusing on the final rows she needed when suddenly, the lights on the train began to flicker. Once again, Eleanor set her knitting down to look up and just as she went to question aloud as to what was taking place, something dark swooped past the outside of their window.

Marnie let out a screech that echoed inside the compartment and quickly crammed herself into Cedric's side. Startled herself, Eleanor had moved away from the window, keeping her eyes focused as the lights went completely out and the train slowed down to a halt.