CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Detention. In all of her years of attending Hogwarts, Eleanor had never received detention. But there she was, standing in Professor McGonagall's office, completely dumbfounded after Filch had found her and Fred hiding in the broom cupboard. She couldn't even bring herself to say anything as Professor McGonagall questioned her involvement in the prank. But she wasn't about to put all the blame on Fred or bring George into it, as he had managed to get away without being caught. She had been involved, and truth be told, she had enjoyed almost every minute of it.

With no other choice, McGonagall issued her detention before sending the two of them off. Fred immediately began apologising to her, perhaps out of guilt that she had gotten into trouble, but she didn't let him continue. She only told him that she would see them at their upcoming detention before excusing herself to head back to the Hufflepuff Common Room.

Of course, there was little she could do to avoid telling Marnie and Cedric about what happened because she was sure that one way or another, Cedric would learn of the latest gossip and confront her about it.

"DETENTION?!" Marnie and Cedric screeched in unison after Eleanor had confessed. She flinched before waving her hands to get them to lower their voices, noticing that other students in the Common Room were looking over in their direction.

"Hush! You don't need to announce it to the whole bloody castle! I don't need everyone knowing, thank you very much."

Marnie flopped back onto one of the sofas, placing one of her hands to her forehead in disbelief. "You, Eleanor Ross, got detention, how can this be happening? Cedric, where did we go wrong?"

"I think you two might be overreacting," Eleanor said, " I was only trying to have a bit of fun. You two were busy with other things, so I-"

"A bit of fun?" Cedric repeated. "Who are you? This is not the Eleanor Ross we know. You find knitting fun, not pranking Filch."

"I can find other things fun outside of knitting! I know it was a bit out of my character but...you two should have seen Filch's face!"

Suddenly, her mouth was covered by Cedric's hand, his eyes wide as he shook his head like a disappointed parent.

"Ellie, you have detention-

"It's only one night of it," she shrugged, "I think I'll survive."

It seemed Marnie or Cedric were not going to come to terms that Eleanor had found herself in trouble. It was one thing if Marnie got in trouble, normally in the classroom, but Cedric and Eleanor were quite known for their squeaky-clean records.

"That's it, Eleanor," Marnie said pushing herself up from the sofa and pointing in the direction of the girls' dormitory, "off to bed, right now!"

With a roll of her eyes, Eleanor muttered "whatever" before making her way towards the dorms, only to hear Cedric call something after her.