CHAPTER SEVENTY

After meeting with Nixie and Sirius in the cave, Eleanor made sure to assist Harry in providing his godparents with the proper necessities they needed in order to live somewhat comfortable. Initially, she had brought the trio into the kitchens, so they could deliver their gift of socks to Dobby, unfortunately, Hermione spoke to the other house-elves about seeking better treatment. It led to the house-elves wanting to shoo her and the others off as quickly as possible to avoid further confrontation. While Ron insisted that Hermione leave the house-elves alone, Eleanor knew that Hermione meant well.

The issue remained that the house-elves themselves had been conditioned for so long to believe that they were inferior to the witches and wizards they served. It had become their way of life and they only saw Hermione as harmful because they didn't believe there was a world out there for them outside of work, mainly because there wasn't. There were those that didn't even believe that other witches and wizards were equals because of their blood, it would be a complete shitstorm if house-elves started to demand better treatment. Eleanor believed it could be done one day, but it would involve a complete overhaul of the Ministry.

In the meantime, Eleanor prepared some knitted garments, including a knitted blanket for Nixie and Sirius. With the use of her wand, she made sure to compact the materials to make it easier for the owls to carry. While Ron offered his owl, Pigwidgeon, Eleanor offered Harry to also use Dermot as well since he was a much larger owl in comparison. They all created a care package of sorts, including food, and by Eleanor's suggestion some hygienic products, before sending it off one evening.

Upon Dermot's return, Eleanor would send a letter home to reassure her father that his friends were well taken care of.

Until then, Eleanor had her hands full, still trying to deal with the drama of her own friends and decided once and for all that they needed to sort through it, rather than running off every time things got awkward. It was easier for her to get a hold of Marnie since they shared the same dorm and it was one night before bed that Eleanor planted herself at the bottom of Marnie's bed, refusing to move until they addressed what was going on.

"Come on, Ellie," Marnie groaned, trying to pull at her covers," can't this wait until the morning? I'm tired."

"You're tired? What about me?" Eleanor huffed. "Do you know how tiring it is going back and forth between you and Cedric? Marnie, he doesn't know what he's done wrong and ignoring him is not helping the situation. He knows you're upset with him and he keeps asking me but I can't tell him! Why can't you two talk this out?"

Marnie was quiet for a moment before sitting up in her bed. "There's nothing to talk about," she said, "is there?"

"What do you mean? Clearly, there is-"

"No, there isn't," Marnie shook her head. "It's obvious that I was reading into things way too much. If he doesn't know what's wrong that means I was wrong. It just hurts, alright? I thought I was over him and then all of a sudden, he starts paying attention to me more than ever. Telling me to stop talking bad about myself, he called me beautiful the night of the Yule Ball. I kept trying to tell myself that it was nothing, that he was just being a good friend. But I still let him get into my head."