CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE

As much as Fred and George thought they were helping Cedric prepare for the Third Task by hiding around corners or popping up unexpectantly to keep him on his toes, it only seemed to leave Cedric rather paranoid whenever he was walking through the corridors. He would make other students walk ahead of him or use Eleanor and Marnie as shields. There were other times where he would jump around the corner, thinking he could outsmart the twins at their own game, only to scare some unsuspecting student or professor instead. But thankfully, the twins' "training" was coming to an end as the Third Task approached.

Eleanor was glad there was some amusing distraction to keep her mind from exploding but as the date grew closer to the task, there seemed to be a never-ending headache that haunted her. Her thoughts were wrapped up with Harry's predicament regarding Mr Crouch, who had yet to be found by anyone. Not only that, but Harry had come to her with information that he had acquired from Professor Dumbledore by the use of a Pensieve. There he had witnessed a couple of different trials of people that were suspected to be Death Eaters, among the faces had been Ludo Bagman and Bartemius Crouch Jr.

While Ludo had been found not guilty of his crimes, Barty Crouch Jr had been sentenced to Azkaban by his own father. These memories Dumbledore seemed to be focused on, all of it following Harry confessing that he was having dreams revolving around You-Know-Who. It hard to believe that Harry had only been a student that Eleanor knew through stories and saw through passing, to become someone she worried over like family. With the upcoming Third Task, she feared for both Harry and Cedric, and if she was being honest, all the Champions involved.

If someone was after Harry, attempting to harm him with the Triwizard Tournament, this was their last chance, and she didn't think they were going to let anyone get in their way. Which meant the other Champions would be in danger if they did manage to become a barrier unknowingly.

With so much stress on her mind, Eleanor was trying to see if she had missed anything, any sort of clue that would give away whoever was behind all the chaos. However, she also had to focus on her exams, knowing that she needed to score decently if she wanted to keep that internship with Amelia Bones over the summer.

She stayed behind in the majority of her classes and spoke with her professors to make sure she was prepared for the exams and while they reassured her over and over that she would do just fine, Eleanor was still paranoid about failing.

Of course, Fred understood where Eleanor's worried thoughts stemmed from, knowing too well that she wanted to help others before helping herself and then often panicking when she was in too much over her head. He wanted to be there for her and reassure her that everything was going to be fine. He told her over and over that Harry and Cedric were going to make it out of the Triwizard Tournament and more than likely, one of them was going to come out as the winner.

She hoped he was right.

To keep Eleanor further distracted from the talk of the tournament and exams, Fred invited her to walk the grounds the weekend before the Third Task. For the first bit of the walk, they didn't say much, Eleanor focusing her eyes on the ground while Fred tried to figure out something brilliant or witty to say. Even as he joked around, she would stifle a laugh before falling silent again.