CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE

Over one thousand kilometres away from her daughter, Margaret was settled inside the Ross home, attempting to plan a birthday celebration for Eleanor. She would be home in less than a week and according to Remus and Lyall, in the Wizarding World, Eleanor would become of age at seventeen years old. It was still difficult for the mother to wrap her head around the idea that Eleanor was technically considered an adult, most of it involving the guilt Margaret carried for not being a better mother up until recent times.

Even though their relationship was on the mends, and they had come a long way, knowing Eleanor still only felt comfortable confiding important matters in her father, someone she had known for only a year or so, it was obvious that the damage was still there. Margaret didn't know what other way she could prove herself to her daughter, wanting Eleanor to believe that she could tell her anything.

However, Margaret did understand that she didn't have that much concept of the Wizarding World, unlike Remus and Lyall who lived in it all their lives. And she would never have that full grasp of magic because she was a "muggle." But she was willing to try, after years of being neglectful or dismissive to Eleanor's needs, she was willing to do absolutely anything to keep the connection with her daughter. Her greatest fear was Eleanor venturing out on her own as an adult and deciding that she didn't really need her own mother in her life. After all, she had practically raised herself within the walls of the home for years, what did Margaret have to offer her when she had her own place?

With a shake of her head, she tried to rid her mind of such thoughts. She and Eleanor had been the closest they had ever been starting with the summer and she wanted to keep it that way. She couldn't allow paranoid thoughts to fuel a fire that hadn't even been lit. If anything, she had to focus on the good things.

After all, Eleanor seemed ecstatic in all her letters regarding the fact that her parents were dating. And Margaret had to admit, she was thrilled about it too. There was such a comfort in having Remus around the home, whether it was their daily conversations or the way he would help her around the house with daily chores. They would sit outside with their respective cups of coffee or tea in the mornings, sometimes not even talking at all, but still enjoying the company of one another.

It didn't help that she felt like a teenager again when she and Remus had finally shared in a kiss one evening. The night had started off with a simple dinner that consisted of leftovers since even with the use of magic, neither adult felt the need to cook, and then the two ventured into the living room where Margaret had put on some music. Remus had recognised one song and hummed it until Margaret asked him if he wanted to dance. At first, she believed he would say no, but he nodded his head in a rather shy manner.

Despite being adults, the two couldn't look at each other in the beginning but as soon as they did, there seemed to be a pull that brought them closer and closer to each other until their lips touched. It reminded Margaret of the first kiss she had shared with Remus years ago, always so gentle. When he realised that he had kissed her, he immediately began apologising, claiming that he should have asked her first, but Margaret could only laugh to herself before kissing him again to confirm it was something that she wanted.