CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

The Great Hall had fallen under a blanket of pure silence after Professor Dumbledore had called Harry's name

The Great Hall had fallen under a blanket of pure silence after Professor Dumbledore had called Harry's name. From where Eleanor was still sitting on Fred's lap, she felt the urge to reach out to Harry, who looked absolutely stunned. He had yet to move from where he was sitting, only able to watch as all eyes in the Great Hall were focused on him. And suddenly, an angry buzzing stirred, instead of the applause and cheer that had followed the other champions that had been selected. Harry immediately tried to say that he hadn't put his name in the Goblet, looking to his best friends beside him for reassurance that they, above all, believed him.

"Harry Potter!" Dumbledore called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

Harry didn't have much of a choice as he struggled to his feet and started to make his way to where Dumbledore was waiting on him. However, as he passed where Eleanor was sitting, she reached out and grabbed his hand, giving it a slight squeeze. She had no words of comfort to offer at the time, only mustering up the best attempt at a smile that she could, before releasing him from her hold.

He continued all the way until he reached Dumbledore, who directed him into the side chamber where the other champions were waiting. Eleanor could only imagine what Cedric's expression had been when he saw Harry walk in. More than likely the other champions probably thought he was coming in to deliver a message of sorts, but they were in for quite the surprise.

As soon as he was out of sight, the Great Hall exploded with everyone turning to the person closest to them, trying to figure out what had just happened. The Gryffindor table seemed to be in better spirits about the ordeal, most of them were actually thrilled to have a Gryffindor champion, rather than being concerned that Harry was underage and that he had managed to be entered.

"I wonder how he did it?" Fred questioned, turning his attention to George and Lee. "If the Ageing Potion didn't work- "

"You're joking, right?" Eleanor rose from his lap, gathering her garments in her arms. "Please tell me you're joking. If you honestly think that Harry put his name in the Goblet. You saw his face, didn't you? He looked terrified!"

She wasn't in the mood to argue, choosing to ignore the fact that everyone seemed wrapped up in the wrong aspects of what had just happened. She took her things, leaving the Gryffindor table, and making her way back to Marnie.

Unlike the Gryffindor table, the students of Hufflepuff appeared extremely annoyed or angry over Harry's selection. Truth be told, Hufflepuff was often the overlooked House, as many of them had experienced over the years. They hadn't won the House Cup in quite some time, they had failed to get the Quidditch Cup, and there were even a few that considered the house to be a lot o' duffers. So, for Cedric to be selected, for so many in Hufflepuff, it meant a lot to them that he would be Hogwarts representation.

"I'm trying to do my best to appear shocked, but I'm not even surprised at this point," Marnie said as Eleanor sat beside her. "I'm only surprised that it didn't call Harry's name first. Actually, I'm surprised it didn't call his name for all the position of champions."