CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

The morning after the Yule Ball, Eleanor found herself waking up early, whether it was due to Marnie's snoring since the two had shared her bed for the evening, or because she had anticipated opening Fred's gift. Leaving a snoring Marnie in bed, Eleanor pushed herself up and made her way to shower. The dorms were relatively quiet as many students chose to sleep in on Boxing Day after a rather eventful evening. All the while, Eleanor couldn't wipe the permanent grin that seemed etched on her face, remembering that she and Fred had shared their first official kiss the night before.

However, while she was shampooing her hair, Eleanor's thoughts wandered and she thought about Artemis, wondering how the girl was doing. She had never witnessed such a thing in all her life, but every time she thought about it, her stomach turned. It was obvious from the way Artemis had fallen over so quickly and the way the professors reacted, that Artemis' drink had been laced with something. The boy that had supposedly asked her to "go on a walk" with him, more than likely had different intentions.

Assuming that Fred and George were not going to be among the early risers in the school, Eleanor decided she was going to make a detour to the Hospital Wing before making her way to the Great Hall.

After getting dressed, she collected Fred's wrapped gift and the gifts that she was going to present to the twins. She had specially planned their Christmas gifts, although she hadn't anticipated the fact that she would be dating Fred at the time. Was she obligated to get him another gift as his girlfriend? Shaking her head, she stopped herself from overthinking and made her way quietly out of the dorms.

But as she reached the Common Room, Eleanor stopped in front of the fireplace that continued to hold a steady fire to keep the area warm. She had been thinking about her last theory about her garments not being effective against fire, but the more she thought about it, she realised it had been an incomplete garment. All of her other garments that seemed to reverse or avoid Fred and George's pranks had all been completed, as well as the ones that contained memories.

She still didn't understand the science behind it if there was any. When trying on several garments, she didn't get a flashback of memories as she did with certain pieces. All of them had been knitted with the use of her wand, so Eleanor didn't know what she did differently between garments that caused different outcomes, but she knew she was onto something.

Looking at one of her mittens that had been tucked away in the pockets of her heavier robes, Eleanor stared at the flames before tossing the mitten in.

Immediately, it was almost as if she had thrown petrol into the flames as the fire roared and there were sparks that jumped out of the fireplace onto the carpet, burning several little holes into it. She jumped back to avoid being burned, only to witness the entire fire go out and left in the centre was the mitten, still intact.

For a few minutes, Eleanor didn't move from her spot, only taking a quick glance around the Common Room to make sure no one had witnessed the scene. And finally, she walked over and grabbed the mitten, lifting it up to look it over. The yarn itself was slightly charred, it smelt of smoke, but it didn't look as bad as one would have thought.