CHAPTER NINE

Of course, the Weasley twins were not able to escape the consequences of pranking Professor McGonagall, even if she was not their intended target

Of course, the Weasley twins were not able to escape the consequences of pranking Professor McGonagall, even if she was not their intended target. It was just their luck that they landed themselves in a week's worth detention, their task for the first session was writing a lengthy essay on how to use charms appropriately, especially during class time. Neither one of them found themselves to be overenthusiastic to start, but Fred was too distracted to even think of what to write down. Instead, his mind was on Eleanor Ross, and her gesture he witnessed before she left the classroom.

"George, I'm telling you," Fred said in a low whisper, "she winked at me. I saw it with my own two eyes. She looked right at me. She wanted me to see her do it."

George shook his head. "You're full of it. You wish she winked at you."

"Well, then can you explain what happened back there? You saw what happened. She completely dodged that balloon. It should have exploded as soon as it touched her. But it bounced right off her. She must have known that we were going to do something. But how could she anticipate when we were going to do it?"

"Messrs Weasley," McGonagall's voice interjected, interrupting their conversation as they looked up. "You know the rules of my detention. No talking. Focus on your essays or you'll be here all night."

"Yes, Professor," they both chimed in and remained quiet as she returned to the back of her classroom, preparing for one of her lessons. But only a couple of minutes later did George initiate the conversation once more.

"I think you're just reading into the situation too much, Freddie. Or maybe you've gone mad, madder than usual."

"Alright then, how else do you explain that every single one of our pranks have failed when she's the target? They also end up hitting someone else. That hasn't happened with anyone else we've aimed for."

When George couldn't counter with an excuse, Fred grinned in triumph. "Exactly, Eleanor Ross is not as innocent as she appears. She's been playing us for fools this entire time."

"You two have already accumulated a week's worth of detention with me, " McGonagall called out to them without bothering to look up from what she was doing, " unless you wish to spend more quality time with me, I suggest you stop talking."

Even the threat of additional detentions was not enough to deter Fred at the moment as he picked up the conversation once more.

"We need to figure this out."

George shot him an incredulous look. "What do you mean 'we'? We have plenty of other students to prank in the castle. You're the one getting worked up over one person."

"You are involved just as much as I am. If we let one person outsmart us, it could lead to our demise. Besides, you're my twin, you have to back me up. It's the rules."