CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Settled in the Great Hall one morning during the weekend, Eleanor had her head propped up by her hand as her elbow came to rest on the table

Settled in the Great Hall one morning during the weekend, Eleanor had her head propped up by her hand as her elbow came to rest on the table. She had her Potions' book opened in her lap, going over an ingredient list as Fred had warned her the night before that they would be quizzing her later on, so she had to be prepared. Marnie was piling food onto a plate when the two of them were approached by Cedric, who practically landed in their laps as he squeezed in between them on the bench.

"Cedric, you fat arse!" Marnie grumbled at him. "There's plenty of bench, do you have to sit right here?"

Cedric completely ignored her question, although Marnie and Eleanor witnessed him steal a glance at his arse before he faced forward once more. "Anyways, you two will never guess what I heard today!"

Lifting a brow, Eleanor shot him a knowing look, leaving him to point his finger in her face.

"Don't you dare call me Queenie, Ellie."

While she grinned, Marnie looked back and forth between the two, trying to figure out the meaning behind the latest nickname. Eleanor mouthed that she would tell her later and Marnie nodded her head before giving a thumbs up. However, Cedric was growing impatient with his latest news that he had been unable to share within the first few seconds of his arrival. He looked fit to burst when he realised, he had their full attention again.

"Right, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted," he began, "the latest news regarding the Hippogriff that supposedly attacked Malfoy, well, the Ministry has set the date for its execution."

"Oh no!" Eleanor exclaimed, nearly dropping her book to the floor. "But why? It was only one isolated incident. Can't they just send the hippogriff to a reserve or something? Kind of like they do with the dragons. Seems a bit harsh to kill it when it was only acting like it would under the circumstances."

"If it had been any other student, maybe that would have happened, "Marnie interjected, "but we're talking about Malfoy here, Ellie. All that blond prick has to do is cry to his father and the Ministry is ready to bend over backwards for him. His father doesn't even work for the Ministry, but he has enough money to do whatever he wants. If it's not a hippogriff, it's something else. You would expect shit like this in the muggle world, but the wizarding world is just as corrupt. Talk about eat the rich."

"Careful, Marnie," Cedric said with a teasing grin, "your Ravenclaw is coming through."

She flipped him off before turning back to her meal, while Eleanor placed her Potions' book on the table. Thinking about how upset Marnie was over the situation, even though she hadn't been a part of the situation, Eleanor glanced over in the direction of the Gryffindor table. She knew through Fred and George that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been anxiously awaiting word over Buckbeak's verdict. The trio was great friends with Hagrid, who was more than likely, devastated with everything.