CHAPTER SEVENTY-SEVEN

Despite succumbing to her exhaustive state, there was very little rest that Eleanor experienced after falling asleep in Moody's prison trunk

Despite succumbing to her exhaustive state, there was very little rest that Eleanor experienced after falling asleep in Moody's prison trunk. There was no telling how long she had been out, upon opening her eyes, she found herself in the Hospital Wing. However, it didn't really matter as most of her focus centred on the sensation of her head being torn in half while nearly throbbing in sync with her heartbeat. And although the lighting of the Hospital Wing seemed dim, the flicker of the flames brought on the sudden onset of nausea.

Sitting up in the bed to keep herself from vomiting, Eleanor touched her fingers to the space between her brows and slowly began massaging it in hopes of some relief. All the while, she tried to remember the events that led her to end up in Madam Pomfrey's care. For a moment, it seemed all she could do was draw blanks until the memories came flooding back in an instance. From the time of her discovering the imposter Moody to being attacked and tossed into the trunk where she was introduced to the real Alastor Moody.

Wondering what events had followed that led to her escape, Eleanor squinted her gaze as she looked up to take a glance around the wing. Almost immediately, she caught sight of familiar red hair as Fred was slumped over in a chair to her right. And although he was asleep, he looked awfully uncomfortable. A small sympathetic smile formed as she went to reach out her hand to wake him, but before she could a voice stopped her.

"He only fell asleep about twenty minutes ago," Cedric's voice rang out, "you might want to let him sleep, Ellie."

Regret washed over her instantly as Eleanor whipped her head in the direction of his voice, only to see Cedric resting in a bed a couple over from her. And loyally at his bedside was Marnie, asleep as well.

"Cedric," she whispered his name loud enough for him to hear, "what's going on? What happened?! Did you get hurt? What happened in the maze? I heard Harry's voice, but I didn't know...the maze! The maze, what- "

"Ellie," he cut her off before she could ramble any further, "what happened in the maze...it doesn't matter right now. What matters is you saved my life. If Marnie hadn't given me the socks before I entered... I would have been dead if it weren't for you and your socks."

Dead? Eleanor repeated in her head. Had she heard him correctly?

"I don't under- "

"How did you know they were going to work, Ellie?" Cedric asked her. "What charm did you put on them?"

"I- "

"I survived the Killing Curse," he said, his own tone carrying disbelief as he looked at her, "Harry was there. He probably reckoned I was dead. I felt it hit me, Ellie. I felt it and then it was like my feet were on fire. When I arrived back outside of the maze, they took my shoes off, and the socks were destroyed. Practically melted...they absorbed the curse!"

"Cedric, do you hear yourself?" she said softly, feeling her headache only grow stronger. "The socks were just...they were socks! I knitted them to keep your feet dry. I mean, there are a few other things that I think the socks are capable of but protecting you from the Killing Curse. No, no, that couldn't have been my doing. It's just knitting, it can't be that strong. It just can't be."