CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Approaching her mother's bedroom, Eleanor reached out her hand and knocked lightly, while calling out to Margaret. She had welcomed Remus back inside, having him stay in the kitchen while she tried to convince Margaret to come back out to the kitchen to discuss things further. Without waiting on Margaret's invitation, Eleanor opened the door slightly and found her mother sitting on the bed.

"Mum," she said as she walked in, "Mum, can we talk?"

"Oh Ellie," Margaret cried out, "I'm so sorry. I had no idea that he was a werewolf of all things! I didn't think they existed! But perhaps I should have believed anything was possible. I-I-I...had I known; I wouldn't have invited him here. I would never intentionally put you in danger- "

Entering the room fully, Eleanor closed the door behind her to prevent Remus from hearing any part of their conversation. It was obvious by her mother's reaction and her following words that she feared the idea of werewolves, but it really wasn't her fault as many werewolves had been portrayed as monsters in both the wizarding and muggle world.

Sitting beside her mother on the bed, Eleanor reached out and grabbed her mother's hand, giving it a firm squeeze, a signal for Margaret to stop talking, and only listen to what her daughter had to say.

"I understand you're scared, Mum, but please, don't think of him as a monster because he's the furthest thing from one. Outside of the full moon, those who are infected with lycanthropy are people, just like you and me. They can't control what happens to them after they've been infected. They're just lucky to survive because even normal magic can't heal them. It's like a super strain of rabies if I had to make a comparison."

"Rabies?"

"Well, like how rabies is transmitted by an infected animal biting another, the same goes for lycanthropy. And the nicest animal can suddenly become aggressive, that's what happens during the transformation on the full moon. In school, we learned that werewolves have no choice but to transform under the full moon and if they don't have a potion called Wolfsbane, they aren't able to keep their human mind. Wolfsbane is expensive though and it's not readily available to everyone that is infected. And werewolves are highly discriminated against in the wizarding world, Mum. He's already been discriminated against enough; can't you just listen to him?"

Just a short while ago, Margaret had remembered Eleanor yelling at Remus, blaming him for walking out on them all those years ago. However, there she was, practically begging Margaret to simply listen to what Remus had to say, regarding his condition. Part of her wished to say "no" haunted by the idea of a werewolf in her home, but she remembered that it wasn't too long ago that she had treated her daughter as if she were a monster, all because Eleanor was a witch. Something she, too, didn't have control over.

"Don't send him away, Mum. I think it's safe to say that I know him better than you do, after all, he's been my professor this entire term. And he's really kind and caring, I don't think you should hold this against him. Will you come to the kitchen and talk to him?"