Chapter 11 The truth

Marshall trows Rachel's suitcases in the trunk and there's complete silence as we get into the car and begin to drive. I'm so angry about her not telling me that she got the money to my college from my dad, so she knows why I'm angry and I know why Marshall is quiet, he thought my dad was dead because that's what I told him and now he knows I've been lying all along.
"Please say something." Rachel says from the backseat after a couple of minutes.
"Do you really want me to say something?" I ask her not even bothering to look at her.
"I knew you wouldn't go to college if you knew that it was your dad who was paying for it." She says.
"I fucking can't believe you fucking lied Rachel!" I raise my voice and look at her.
"I'm sorry." She says.
"So what? Are you in contact with him?" I ask her.
"I was at that time." She admits. I can't believe that she would do that knowing what he did to my mom.
"You disgust me." I just say looking at the road again. Marshall doesn't say anything he's just concentrating on his driving.
"I'm not proud of going behind your back like that Amelia, but I wanted for you to have a bright future and he could give you that." She explains.
"So what did you give him in return?" I ask her turning around to look at her again.
"Why would you think he would have something?" She asks.
"Answer me." I just say.
"He wanted me to update him on your life." She says.
"Are you fucking insane or something?! You just know how to get involved with psychopaths!" I raise my voice again not caring if my words hurt her.
"Amelia that was a shitty comment to make." She cries.
"Maybe she had a good reason for lying like I bet you have a good reason for telling me that your dad was dead." Marshall now says. I see Rachel's eyes widens in surprise that I would tell Marshall that before I look at Marshall.
"I didn't lie, he's dead to me." I say.
"I feel the same way about my fucking dad but I never lied to you about it man, I didn't tell you he was dead." He says angrily.
"Can we talk about this another time?" I ask him not wanting to discuss this in front of Rachel.
"Damn right we're gonna talk about it." He mumbles.
"Amelia your father promised me never to reach out to you if I just told him about how it was going with you. He understood that you didn't need anymore disturbance in your life at that time." She tells me.
"Does he know where I live now?" I ask her.
"No I don't have contact with him anymore." She says. No more words are spoken on the way to my hotel.
"When can we talk?" Marshall asks me when I'm about to get out of the car in front of my hotel.
"I don't know Marshall." I sigh. I'm so filled up right now so talking with Marshall is the last thing on my mind.
"Then I'm gonna pick you up tomorrow." He says.
"No I can't." I lie. I don't have plans tomorrow but I just don't wanna meet up tomorrow, I rather solve all this mess with Rachel right now.
"I don't care what time it is, I need to see you tomorrow because you're going back to New York soon and I'm going to LA soon to the preview on my movie." He says. Wait.. Hold on.. His movie? Did he make a movie?
"What? You made a movie?" I ask him.
"Curtis Hanson made a movie about my life and I play the main role." He says. "You didn't know?" He asks.
"No." I say in a low voice.
"I need to see you tomorrow." He says and I sigh deeply in annoyance. "Amelia.." He tries to talk again but I cut him off.
"Fine! Pick me up at 2." I say. I open the door and leaves the car without saying goodbye, I can see that Rachel stays in the car and says goodbye to Marshall, meanwhile I grab her suitcases in the trunk and go into the lobby, 2 minutes after Rachel comes in.
"You were really rude to him Amelia." Rachel says.
"You're the last person who should talk about being rude." I say while heading to the elevator.
"I know you hate your dad but he's the reason why you're at where you're at today." Rachel says in the elevator. I know I should appreciate what my dad did but it's hard when I hate him so much, I know I should appreciate Rachel for getting me out of that place and trust me I do, but now I'm just really angry about her lying.
"So what? I should send him a thank you card or what? Visit him? Have a real nice daughter-father relationship with him now?" I ask in sarcasm.
"No but don't be angry with me Amelia because I did the right thing and you know it." She tells me and the elevator door opens and I head to my hotel room. "Why do you always have to be so damn stubborn Amelia?" She asks when I open the door to my room.
"This has nothing to do with being stubborn but about you lying to me!" I yell at her and Melissa looks at us really surprised, I'm sure she's not only surprised about Rachel being here with her suitcases but also the fact that we're auguring.
"I remember a girl 8 years ago that had to do the same thing to her boyfriend Amelia, so why is it so damn difficult to understand that I had to lie about this?" She asks.
"Because we never lie to each other!" I scream at her.
"Would you have gone to college if I told you?" She asks.
"That's a stupid fucking question when you now know what James put me through!" I say.
"But I didn't know at that time Amelia. As far as I knew you would had gotten an apartment with Marshall and not have gotten an education." Rachel says.
"Should I go?" Melissa asks and I turn around to look at her.
"No... I'm sorry." I say to Melissa. "This is Rachel my aunt." I say and turn around to look at Rachel "And Rachel this is Melissa my best friend." I introduce her and they give each other a handshake.
"Would you like to update me?" Melissa asks nodding her head in Rachel's suitcases' direction.
"Rachel are divorcing James and I'm gonna go downstairs in a minute and get her a room." I say.
"I don't like you paying for that." Rachel says.
"Would you rather live on the street?" I ask her rudely because I'm still so angry with her.
"No but.." She says but I cut her off.
"Then I guess you don't have much of a choice." I say heading down to the lobby to get Rachel her own room. I can't actually believe that my dad paid for my college, why would he do that? For all I know he didn't really care because all I remember was him being grumpy with me and my mom all the time, always drunk and rude and really mean to my mom. Where did he heard about my mom's passing? I mean we ran away from him and made sure he couldn't find us, so how on earth did he find us? Maybe there's more to this story than I know. Did Rachel have contact with him all along? I'm really confused.

About 45 minutes after I get a room for Rachel and it gave me time to cool off, so I head up to Rachel and Melissa and tell Rachel that I got her a room. As me and Rachel get into Rachel's room I sit down on the bed, I have so many questions.
"Can I ask you something?" I ask Rachel.
"Of course honey." She says and she just stands up and it's like she's scared to sit down next to me, I probably would too if I was her after that burst out I gave her earlier.
"How did John found out about mom's passing?" I ask her and I can't get myself to call him dad.
"I don't know. He just wrote me a letter one day telling me that he wanted to see you but I explained to him that it wasn't an option and then he compromised with the deal that if he paid for your college that I would update him and send him pictures." She explains.
"What would be the purpose of that? I don't understand it." I say.
"Maybe he hoped that you would one day forgive him if you found out that he paid for your college." She says and I just shake my head. - "He's sober now."
"I don't care." I say.
"Why did you lie to Marshall?" She asks. "About John."
"Because it was easier."
"How come?" She asks and sits next to me.
"Then I wouldn't have to tell him about my childhood." I say. I understand why Marshall is angry with me right now because he has always told me everything, now he found out that I didn't do the same thing and it must hurt. Honestly I forgot all about that lie, I told him that lie the first time I met him and I didn't know who he were, I should have told him later on but I avoided it because I didn't wanna talk about it.
"Is there something going on between you and him again?" She asks.
"We still have feelings for each other." I say and look down. I feel so ashamed loving another man when I'm engaged, I know Rachel would never judge me but I judge myself.
"Have you cheated on Kevin?" She asks and I begin to cry unable to answer her question, Rachel pulls me in for a hug. "I take that as an yes."
"We've just kissed but that's enough because in 5 months I'm suppose to marry Kevin." I cry.
"You what?" She asks. Fuck.. I haven't told Rachel about my engagement. I choke on my own words because I have no idea what to tell her. "When did Kevin propose to you?" She asks me and I now look at her.
"In March." I say.
"Why haven't you told me?" She asks and I can tell she's disappointed.
"Because then I had to invite you and James." I say. I begin to tell Rachel all about the engagement with Kevin, all about my meetings with Marshall and all about the confusing I am going through right now.