Chapter 83 Back to work

Monday

It's my first day at work today and I'm very excited. I know that Marshall still isn't completely comfortable about my new work but he's fine with it, he's not angry at me or anything but I guess he's more observant, you know? I'm on my over to the club right now and I'm driving in Marshall's SUV because he hasn't had time to go out with me to find a car, so I'm allowed to drive in his SUV to work until he has the time. I'm actually a little nervous because everyone knows that I'm Marshall's girlfriend and everyone also knows that I'm Kevin's ex fiancé. I walk into the club and I'm just waiting now for the employees to show up. I've only met a small amount of them and in the next of couple of days I will meet everybody. The first girl who arrives is Jenny. Jenny is the girl who actually caught me and Marshall arguing last time I was here, the girl who I told about me and Marshall's past.
"Amelia." She says as she walks towards me.
"Jenny, how are you?" I ask.
"I'm good. It's good to see you again." She says.
"You too." I say and she has now reached the bar.
"So you've moved to Detroit now?" She asks.
"I have." I say. I give her short answers because I don't wanna get too friendly with her. I'm still her boss and she shouldn't stick her nose into my private business.
"So, are you only here for a period of time or are you officially gonna run this department?" She asks me.
"I'm officially gonna run this department." I say.
"That's great." She says smiling. "So you and Kevin are speaking just fine now?" Her question makes me wonder. How does she even know that me and Kevin weren't on any good terms?
"What do you mean?" I frown.
"2 months back I was working a few weeks at Club In in New York." She tells me.
"And Kevin discussed his private life with you?" I ask as it's not like Kevin to do that.
"Well, we got pretty close." Jenny says as she looks down to the floor. Close? What does she mean with close? I don't like her being in my business like that.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"You know.. I mean.. We just.." She stutters and it becomes clear to me now that she has slept with him. A hint of jalousie hits me and it's weird because I'm with Marshall but it's also not weird because it's not that long ago that me and Kevin were a couple. It's reasonable when I still have feelings for him and I still someway feel like he's mine.
"You don't have to say it." I just say.
"Oh good.. You're angry." She says with worry written in her voice.
"No I'm not." I say smiling even though I am furious! I can't believe that Kevin fucked an employee and told her shit about our fucking private business. Things become very awkward for us but luckily another employee walks into the club. Her name is Holly and she's a really good looking girl. The employees slowly begins to arrive and it gets me distracted from what Jenny just told me. At work tonight there's; Jenny, Holly, Sandy, Ivan, Eric, William and Jessica. I get them to work and then I walk up to the office, I've been waiting to go up here since I had my talk with Jenny. I dial Kevin's number and he picks up after 3 rings.

"Hello." He says when he picks up the phone.
"Hi. What's up?" I say.
"Nothing much. I'm just doing some paperwork. How is your first night going? Are you already bored?"
"No it's going perfectly. I just thought that I would tell you that I had an interesting talk with Jenny."
"About what?" He plays it cool like it's nothing.
"Really Kevin? You have no idea what we could have talked about?"
"Is it about the fact that I fucked her?"
"Not so much about the fact that you fucked her but more about the fact that you were discussing our private business with her."
"What? Amelia.. I haven't said anything to her other than we weren't really speaking."
"Why is it any of her business?"
"Why can't she know? Everyone knew that we weren't talking."
"You fucked an employee.. Like.. Come on Kevin." I change the subject.
"What is this about Amelia? It's not just about me fucking an employee, is it?" He asks me. He knows me so damn well!
"Yes it is. That shit is illegal." I say.
"I flirted with you when you were my employee and you never complained."
"Flirting is way different."
"But I would have fucked you if you would've let me."
"Kevin this is taking the wrong turn." I say as our conversation has turned into about us.
"Are you jealous because I slept with her?"
"Kevin stop, okay? I want this to work, I want to prove to Marshall that this can work but it can't if you don't let go of the past."
"You were the one calling me bitching about who I'm fucking."
"Because she's an employee!"
"So that's it? You're only pissed because she's an employee?"
"Yes." I lie.
"Sure." He chuckles because he clearly doesn't believe me.
"Goodbye Kevin." I say and hang up.

I walk downstairs again and everything is going well, there's a lot of people, the club isn't filled because it's Monday but there's a lot of business people here to grab a drink with their coworkers. I look at Jenny from a far distance, she's working well so I can't plant that on her but I don't like her, I don't like that she's up in my business, I don't like that she knows the things that was going on last I was here and I don't like that she's slept with Kevin. I don't want Kevin back or anything but I don't need her to rub in my face that she's slept with him. What did Kevin even see in her? Sure she's good looking but she doesn't have that much curves. She's so far from what I am, so if Kevin likes a girl like me then what does he see in a girl like Jenny?
My thoughts are interrupted when someone pokes my shoulder to get my attention, I turn around and I see a beautiful dark skin woman around the same age as me is the one who's trying to get my attention.
"Amelia?" She asks. I take a long look at her trying to recognize her but I can't.
"Yes." I say politely.
"Do you remember me? We went to high school together." She asks and that's where it hits me, it's Robyn.
"Robyn!" I say in a cheerly voice and I hug her. I know that me and Robyn had a lot of disagreements but we actually ended up getting along before we graduated. "How are you?" I ask her when I pull away from the hug.
"I'm good, I'm really good." She says smiling. "How about you?"
"I'm good." I say.
"So you work here?" Robyn asks.
"I own it." I say and she looks surprised.
"Wow." She giggles. "That's cool."
"What do you do now?" I ask her even though I know she's a photographer because Jake told me that.
"I'm a photographer." She says proudly.
"Cool."
"So are you back in Detroit? I mean.. Since you and Marshall are together again." I can hear that she's nervous about asking.
"Yes." I say smiling showing her that it's okay that she asks.
"I think it's great that the two of you found each other again." She says.
"Yeah it's crazy." I say smiling.
"I was thinking.. Would you like to grab a cop of coffee or something someday?" She then asks.
"Sure." I say as I really need to make some friends in this city. Me and Robyn exchange numbers and I get back to work. It's about 2am and I just wanna go home but the club closes in an hour so I have to stay until it closes.
I look at my phone which I haven't looked at since I talked to Kevin and of course Kevin has texted me.

Kevin (23:47pm)
No need to get so angry Amelia. I just find your reaction really weird, that's all.

Reply to Kevin (02:08am)
And I just find you annoying, that's all.

...

The club finally closes and I drive home. When I walk into the house I take my high heels off and my feet are so sore. I walk upstairs to discover that Marshall is not in bed so I walk downstairs again and down to the studio as I know he's probably there. When I open the door, a soft beat hits me and I see Marshall working with his nose down in the pad.
"Hi baby." I say and when he looks up at me, he's smiling.
"Yo babe." He says as he puts the pad down. I walk towards him and he pulls me down to his lap. I lean back so I have my head on his shoulder and Marshall kisses my shoulder as he wrap his arms around my waist. "You look exhausted."
"I am." I say.
"How was your day?" He asks.
"Good. I met Robyn who I went to high school with, do you remember her?" I ask.
"Damon's little sister?" He asks.
"Yes." I say.
"Yeah, how is she?" He asks.
"She's really good." I say. "How come you're still up?"
"I've been working and then I thought I could wait for you to come home." He says. That's sweet.
"You're so thoughtful." I say.
"Mmh." He just mumbles as his lips are stuck on my neck. "I'm going to New York next week, do you wanna come with me? Then we could get the rest of your stuff at Rachel." He asks. I can feel that I get uncomfortable just about the thought, I don't know if I'm ready to face Rachel right now.
"I don't know.. I just don't know if I'm ready." I admit.
"I'll be right there baby. Why not just get it over with?" He asks.
"I'm just too angry right now and I don't know if I can control myself when I see her." I say. "Can't we do it another time?"
"I don't know if I have time another time." He says.
"Baby.. Don't pressure me." I beg.
"I know I have to babe. If I don't then I know you'll never do it." He says and he's right. Right now I'm ready to say fuck all my stuff and just leave it in New York.
"It's on you if I knock her teeth out." I say.
"Alright." He chuckles.

What do you think about Amelia's reaction to Kevin's little fling with Jenny?
What do you think is gonna happen when Amelia and Marshall visit Rachel next week?