Chapter 24: The Capital

After one long month of staying with my aunt Margaret, we headed out to the capital to stay with my other aunt. In the capital it was like a normal city only that there were many stray animals that weren't just dogs but also animals like cows and donkeys. Fear surrounded us as we walked slowly down the streets of the capital. Every hour there happens to be a death due to the violence and corruption of the government.

"Hurry get inside the house." My dad whispered to all of us as we heard a crack in the distance.

There was no need to say it twice.

We hurriedly ran inside my aunt's house.

"I want to go home." My brother whispered to my mother.

"Don't worry." My mother assured him. "We'll leave soon. We're safe in here."

My father got in with a very dull expression on his face.

"Jose come on in, dinner is ready." My aunt came out of the kitchen.

"I don't know how you do it." My father slouched on the couch beside my mother.

"Do what?"

"Live out here." My father was worried for his sister's safety. "You and your daughters live out here with the violence."

"It's not easy." My aunt was calm. "Nowhere is safe."

Two years back my aunt Ada's husband was murdered right in front of the house. Since then she's been a widow.

"There's nothing we can do but pray for safety." My aunt replied.

"You're right about that." My father sighed. "All we can do is stay calm and quiet."

I sat by my mother listening to my family's conversation when I slowly zoned out. I had no clue what dimension I went to but one thing I knew was, I was afraid. My past, my present, and my future weren't normal at all. There always have to be a bad thing in my life.

"Well..." I caught my father speaking again. "We're going back home. School starts in two days for my kids and we need to get home soon."

"We'll be back in a few years." My mother  assured my aunt.

"You all are always welcomed here."

For once I didn't want to go. Even so I was scared, I still rather be here than back home to go to school. I hate school and I dreaded to go back. Out here I feel loved and special. Everyone out here sees me as the most famous person from far away. I look at the ring in my finger and realize there was someone out there waiting for me.

But for how long?