Chapter 77: Birdie In Distress

"I never told this to anyone but..." Emilio's eyes stared into mine. "I trust you. I trust you won't judge me but I'm not the typical angel or prince you find in stories."

"What do you mean?" I asked in a whisper.

His eyes sadly looked into mine and he held my hand like his life depended on it.

"There is so much I've done wrong that... I wonder how I'm still alive."

We sat down in the stairways upstairs and he sat one step above me, his hand not letting go of mine.

"I love you Danielle. Sometimes I think I don't deserve you. Look at me," he gave a weak smile. "You're a beautiful innocent girl with me."

"And what's wrong with you?" I asked.

"My past." He whispered. "I've changed. I'm not going to lie but I've done some bad things in my past and I'm trying with all my strength not to fall. Again."

There was so much I wanted to ask but one thing I learned from my past, don't pressure anyone. Whatever he was going to tell me he was going to trust me unlike Joe. Joe never trusted me. He lied to me with so many things.

 For instance, Joe once said he was going to leave to New York. 

He's still here.

For the first time I was willing to trust someone to trust me.

Joe once said 'trust means everything'.

Trust indeed is everything.

Trust in love.

Trust in friends.

Trust in family.

And I trust Emilio.

"Danielle..." Emilio placed a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I'm alcoholic, I've been with drugs, I've been to jail, I vandalized, and I used to smoke...Danielle I'm contaminated." His eyes looked into mine with desperation. "I'm changing but I'm horrible."

"No don't say that." I traced his cheek with my hand. "You proved to me the contrary." 

"What do you mean?" He placed his hand on top of mine which was tracing his cheek.

"Your different." I smiled. "Even with everything you told me, you no monster. I trust that you are changing and I know you are good. These past few days you showed me that I can trust someone real. I trust you Emilio."

"Well I did told you once I was going to be an open book for you?" He chuckled.

"When was that?"

"Once was now." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "And you know what?" He asked while he kissed my forehead.

"What?"

"Whatever you need, whenever, I'm going to be here for you. Can you trust me in that? Danielle I love you and I want you to know you are safe with me. One day I will free you from that bird cage you've been locked in for so many years and I'm going to teach you how to fly."