Chapter 30: 'Happy Birthday'

October 24, 2014~

"Sixteen. But for what?" I stared at my own reflection like a zombie. Just seeing myself was dead looking. Under my eyes were black like a raccoon's mask and my whole skin was pale white like snow.

"Sweetie I got your dress." In came my mother with my birthday dress that I was going to wear to school. My plans were to prove Joe I was happier than ever. Even in my birthday. I mean who needs him to be happy? I grabbed my dress and started to make myself look pretty. Once I came out of my room, into the living room, all eyes were on me.

"My...You look beautiful." My father smiled with his mouth gaped open.

"Doesn't she? She looks like a bride." My mother started to play with my hair.

"Indeed. Make your day happy Danielle." My father got up from the couch he was sitting on and came up to give me a hug.

"Thanks. I will." I felt determination and a new spirit fill me. Of course I wasn't  going to let anything ruin my. It's not always that you turn sixteen.

                                                                              *************

I was at the entrance of the school, ready to make my great entrance, when I slowly pushed the doors open. I took in a deep breath and casually entered. Just what I expected....All eyes were on me as I made my way in. Just as I was walking down the hallways there were once in a while whistles coming from a few guys standing in the hallways. I ignored everyone in my path and confidently walked by, smiling once or twice to people who complemented my new look. I was just outside my classroom when Merlyn appeared out of nowhere.

"Danielle! OMG you look amazing! No offense but its way better than a few weeks back when you were dressed all in black like a vampire."

"Oh gee thanks." I laughed feeling better about myself.

"So why the new look? Don't tell me you got a new boyfriend now or even better...impress a crush?" She winked at me.

"No silly." I chuckled. "I'm still trying to get over that jerk."

"Then why you look like a beautiful bride?" She insisted with a raise from her brow.

"I just want to look pretty in my special day." I shrugged.

"Well you sure do." She smiled. "That dress looks lovely on you. I can finally see your body shape. And boy do you have the body of a model."

"Oh whatever stop." I laughed and punched her shoulder gently.

"Ow! No its true. Oh well so have you seen that butthole Joe?"

"Really?" I sighed. "I don't care seeing him. Better yet EVER."

I felt life jinx me at that moment. Just when I said that... Joe walked right past me.

"Ew. You saw that?" Merlyn glared at the direction he took.

"No duh." I sighed heavily feeling hurt. I don't know why but just seeing him caused my heart sink. Just when I didn't want to see him, he had to appear.

I thought it was just a coincidence but then he appeared again, but this time he stood in front of me. His dark brown eyes stared into mine, making me feel small. Merlyn kept staring back and forth at us as we kept staring at each other without blinking nor saying a word. It lasted a life time till his words hurt me. It felt like a knife stabbing in my chest. Hearing his voice, got my blood to freeze up.

"Happy Birthday."

There was along glare till he decided to better walk off. He walked away leaving me mute.

"Happy?" I felt tears start to form in my eyes. "I lost it long time ago." I whispered.

Merlyn slowly turned back to me and tried to smile to make me feel better. Sadly nothing work. Instead of feeling happy that at least he remembered, It made me burn inside. I hated him. And hate won't be the word I'll be using to define him.

"Let that jerk go." Merlyn comforted me.

"I will. Just like he did to me." I fisted my hands, feeling anger rush through me. "And I hope I'll never see that asshole ever again in my life!"