Chapter 34: Written To The Skies

I felt like a new girl all of a sudden. Hearing the word 'like' caused butterflies in my stomach.

"So what do you think?" Merlyn beamed.

"I-I-huh?" I was lost for words.

Its only been about four months since I broke up with Joe that I didn't know what to think. All of this sounded all so unreal. I tensed up and started to fold the paper back.

"What's wrong?" Merlyn's expression changed.

"I can't." I looked up feeling hurt again.

"Why not? He likes you Danielle. The only problem would be that he is six years older than you."

"That old?" I was feeling perplexed. "I don't know...Besides I can't move on if I don't even have a heart for the person. Plus I just seen him one time."

"One and many more." Merlyn winked. "Just write to him back and I'll give it to him at church. You'll see, soon you'll be in to him. He's not a bad guy you know."

"Fine but I doubt I'll ever like him. I mean he's cute and all but I don't see him in my future." I pulled out a piece of paper and red pen. Might as well start writing.

"Give him a chance. Joe wasn't worth it and you must move on."

"Blah blah blah are you done yet?" I crossed my arms and layed out the paper in the cafeteria table.

"Yes. Please do continue. WITH YOUR LIFE." She sat by me as I held the pen to the tip of my lip.

My mind was blank for words. This was the first time I was writing to a guy. I felt stupid but I had no experience with love nor letters. I played with the pen till I just started to write random questions and blah blah here and blah blah there. Writing seemed to get my mind off my past for a few secs. Sad part I felt that I wasn't writing to Jason but to Joe. I asked him all the questions that Joe never could answer me. I had a little hope in me that maybe this wasn't a mistake after all. I mean time moves on so why not me?

"Done. You were right." I handed Merlyn my letter and gave a soft smile. "I must move on. If Joe can do it then so will I. Plus it was actually pretty fun writing."

"No duh." She rolled her eyes. "You'll see...this is only the beginning."

                                                    *****************

2 weeks later~

Letter after letter. Jason was the opposite of Joe.

Even so I only seen him once, his letters were like I was actually talking to him and the best part...every single question I asked, he answered. I for once felt more communicated.

Hot pink being his favorite color.

Loves all animals.

Soon to work at Pizza Hut.

Survived the army.

Been to Jail but changed to good.

A writer.

Told me I had the most beautifulest eyes and that one day he hoped he could hold my hand and actually be something more.

This guy told me everything like he's known me all his life time.

Though oneday....

"He's gone."

"What?" I stared at Merlyn like she was juggling chainsaws over her head.

"He left church and I don't know where. There was this problem and he thought it was best he left."

"Left? Just like that?"

"Yeah and I don't think he's ever coming back."

"I don't expect him to." I sighed.

It was too good to be true. His letters were just like Joe's words.

EMPTY SKIES.

"Another mistake." I felt that dark cloud start to form over my head.

"No it wasn't I mean did you eventually ended up liking Jason?" She asked.

"Thought I did. I guess I'm not meant to have anybody."

"Have patience Danielle. You're still young and I think the problem is your attitude."

"My attitude? What's wrong with my attitude?" I frowned.

"Nothing. Well err... maybe a little...um...you have this face you know...uhh...lets say you're too serious. People fear you besides you're too...how you say....defensive." Merlyn tried telling.

"You mean I look mean?"

"More like reserved." She was smiling nervously.

"Probably you have a point but guess what...I'll never change. If a guy likes me then he'll like me for who I am and how I am." I stood up straight feeling this energy that I had no clue what it meant.

Probably with the many mixed emotions I was having, one thing I was sure....I don't believe in men.