Chapter 32

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm going to post a short update today. Even though this chapter was short, I think that you guys would like this one.

*****

As soon as Zayn arrived at the hospital, his entire body was on alert, looking for someone to help him to find his boyfriend. He snapped at some hospital staffs to take him wherever Niall was. Luckily, an ICU nurse took him into the right room. His breath hitched, seeing multiple of machines is attached to Niall and a breathing tube was stuck down to Niall's throat, helping him breathe.

"Oh, God..." Zayn used his hand to cover his mouth, emotions hitting him in every single direction. Seeing his boyfriend in this condition, making him helpless. As much as Zayn wanted to trade places with Niall, he couldn't.

He took the chair next to the bed as he caressed his boyfriend's arms. Tears flowed freely from his eyes as the possibility of Niall leaving him. Zayn couldn't live in a world where Niall won't be there. He just couldn't—he might as well take his own life so he could be wherever Niall was.

"I'm so s-soorry, Ni-Niall..." Zayn wiped the tears from his cheeks. "I swear. I will do anything to make this right..." But all of his thoughts were pushed aside when he felt a presence going inside the room. Zayn turned around to see a woman in her sixties. Long brown hair, dark complexion, black eyes, an authoritative posture, and in a white lab coat.

"I'm Dr. Nassirio, the doctor assigned to Mr. Horan. Are you a family of the patient?" Zayn choked. If he told her that he's not a family member, they might send him out and Zayn can't let that happen.

"I'm... uh..." Zayn bit his lips, trying to rack his mind to find something. The doctor stared at him inquisitively. "I'm his emergency contact," Zayn felt relief after saying those words.

"Oh, I see..." Dr. Nassirio nodded her head, glancing at the medical documents on her clipboard, scribbling something. And when she looked up, she noticed something that piqued her interests. "You look familiar to me..." Zayn gulped. The last thing that he wanted was to fill the entire room with nosy paparazzi, taking every single photo of him and his boyfriend.

"Have you been in this hospital?"

"No, I don't think so..."

"I think I've seen you somewhere." Zayn was becoming uncomfortable by the incessant statement of the doctor.

"Not possible," Zayn answered stiffly. "Can you tell me what happened to Niall?"

"Right..." The doctor answered, glancing back at her clipboard. "According to the initial reports on ER that Mr. Horan coded multiple times..." Zayn tried his best to understand what the doctor was explaining to him but it doesn't make any sense in his head.

"Can you, at least, explain it to me in simple English?" He asked politely.

"Oh, it means that his heart stopped more than once," Zayn gasped. "But the ER doctor was able to pump medications in his body and was able to revive him. Although..." Zayn struck with fear that Niall might not be able to wake up again.

"Although what..." Zayn felt his lips quivered in terror.

"It seems like Mr. Horan is only twenty-year-old something..."

"Yes, he is. What's that got to do with this," Zayn asked, wanting to understand Niall's condition. Actually, he knew what Niall has. Zayn was just hoping that those things weren't related at all.

"Literally, Mr. Horan has a weak heart. This condition only appears on elderly people, like sixty or seventy-year-old patients." Dr. Nassirio stated. "This is definitely a mystery. Does he have any heart problems?"

"Yes. This is not the first time that this happen," Zayn recalled the time when he found Niall on his apartment unconscious. He swore that he won't let it happen again and yet, this time, he couldn't stop it from repeating itself.

"I see..." Dr. Nassirio nodded, scribbling again on her clipboard. "For the meantime, he needs to be monitored in case of any fluctuations in his health."

"Okay, thank you..." Zayn said, watching the doctor left the room. He closed the door and went back to the chair next to Niall's bed. The steady beeping sound of the machines was making Zayn more worried. If only he didn't bring Niall to his family, this wouldn't happen. And once again, he hurt Niall.

"Please... wake up, Niall... I need you..." Tears started forming again in his eyes. "Don't leave me, okay?" Zayn caressed Niall's arm, hoping that he would get any reaction from his unconscious boyfriend. "We just started our lives together. Don't let this be the end..."

"I love you so much, Pumpkin..." Zayn whispered, his other free hand pulling a small box from his pocket. Opening it, a 5-carat diamond ring was sitting in the center of the box.

"I will marry you, Niall Horan..." He pressed a sweet, gentle kiss on his boyfriend's forehead.

*****

What do you think is going to happen in the next chapter? I haven't written it yet, so I'm open to suggestions. I have an idea, but still, I'm interested in your input.