Chapter 40

Surprise part 2!

I am definitely on a roll! Although, this chapter is quite short. By the time you finish this chapter, you'll understand why I had to hold off the new character.

Have fun reading!

*****

It felt like he was in the twilight zone. His eyes could not believe what he was seeing. Who would've thought that his best friend got the hots for his boyfriend? It sounded cliché like in those chick flick movies that it was too unpredictable. The joke was on him. It definitely was.

His mouth was gaping open, witnessing Louis was making out with the life-size cardboard cutout of his boyfriend. How could Niall process something like this? It was beyond comprehension.

The keys on his hand slowly slipping and when it hit the floor, it created a clanging sound that alerted Louis. He saw how surprised Louis was; he could tell that he found out Louis' secret.

"Niall!"

Slowly, the blonde took a step backward, wishing in all the Gods that this was some kind of a joke that he can laugh at. But before he could take another step, he felt a strong grasp on his arm, forcing him to look forward.

"Let me explain..." There was a sense of urgency in Louis' voice and fear at the same time.

"I... I..."

Words failed Niall. That was all to it, not even his brain could recover from something like that.

There was silence between them. The blonde tried his best not to explode on what he called his best friend.

Betrayal. Betrayal. Betrayal.

Those words kept echoing in his head, poisoning his mind with thoughts that he shouldn't have.

"Since when..." Niall croaked, breaking the weird silence between. He was still studying Louis' expression and he couldn't detect any kind of malice from him.

"Since day one."

The response was flat and devoid of emotion. The Louis that he knew was different from the one he talked to right now. It felt like those were two different people.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Niall asked, still wrapping in his head the idea of his best friend having strong feelings for his boyfriend. "Is this some kind of bet you two concocted?"

"No, Niall! Of course not!" Louis disagreed. Hiding a secret to this magnitude from his best friend was something was killing him. To have feelings for your best friend's special someone was a total violation of his friendship code. Friends must come first before love life.

"Wait—did you say day one?"

"Yes."

This must be the weirdest day for Niall. After finding out his best friend's secret, a devastating idea popped into his head.

"Isn't that the same time you and Harry got together?"

"Well..." As much as Louis wanted to lie, he couldn't. His best friend deserved better than that. Since he found out about his secret, he might as well tell him the rest of everything.

"Oh my God!" Niall gaped his mouth wide open, as well as his icy, blue eyes, putting all the pieces together. "I can't believe this! You used Harry!"

"No! It's nothing like that," Louis said, not wanting for Niall to throw him with more false accusations. "Here's what happened..."

But unbeknownst to both of them that there was a particular curly-haired lad with green eyes heard every single thing that they talked about...

*****

So, what do you think is going to happen next? I haven't written that part yet so I'd like to hear your suggestions. I already had an idea but if I like your suggestion, I might steer it that way.