Chapter 34

"Zayn went down on one knee and proposed to me."

The egg roll passing through Louis' throat came blasting out on how it came in—through his mouth. He coughed hard, startling Niall and Sophia. All three of them were at Sophia's condo, catching up with everybody.

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" Sophia squeals, jumping in the sofa cushion, ignoring Louis, who almost choked to death.

"Are you alright, Louis?" Niall asked, caressing hard his friend's back. Louis' face turned red with all these heavings and everything. Niall asked Sophia to get a glass of water. As soon as Sophia returned and after washing Louis' throat and esophagus with water, his complexion was returning to normal as well as his breathing.

"Did you just say Zayn proposed to you?" Louis blinked multiple times, not believing in the words he just heard. He was not at all expecting Zayn to do the whole grand romantic gesture.

"Yes. The ring and getting on one knee stuff," Niall answered nonchalantly, making himself comfortable on the sofa. Louis started to become suspicious with Niall not showing any signs of excitement.

Louis glanced at Niall's hand, looking for the evidence. "So where is it?"

"Where's what?"

"The ring."

"About that..." Niall paused, biting his fingernails, recalling the memory of yesterday, seeing Zayn down on one knee in front of him, offering an exquisite diamond ring. "I will tell you the story from the very beginning..."

"Make sure you don't leave anything because I will know," Louis scowled in a teasing way.

"Okay fine." The blonde started from the beginning on how he insisted Zayn visit his family and how he met the Malik family on a more personal level.

"I was really nervous when I was at their door," Niall said, recalling that one particular memory of that day. He could never forget the scowl on Waliyha when Zayn introduced him.

"Then what?" Sophia asked eagerly, hugging tightly a purple throw pillow with a floral design in the center. As Niall told the story, she visualized it in her mind as if she was there with them.

"Then, Zayn introduced me to his family as his boyfriend."

"Oh my God!" Sophia shrilled, earning a glare from Louis as he plugged his index fingers in both ears to lessen the decibel piercing through his ears.

"How about trying not to shatter our eardrums, would ya?" Louis scowled in a friendly manner at Sophia.

"Sorry..." Sophia chuckled.

Niall continued the storytelling. Both Louis and Sophia were listening carefully to the words coming from their blonde friend.

"Everything is going great until I found out about Zayn..."

"Ooohhh... I bet he knocked up some girl," Sophia teased, earning a weird look from Louis.

"Sophia, you're watching too much daytime TV shows," Louis retorted back, rolling his eyes out. But a silence traveled through the air as they exchanged glances. "Now that you mention, it could be possible since you know... Zayn is..."

"Nope, he didn't knock up some girl," Niall cocked an eyebrow on his friends. "Do you want me to tell the story or not?"

"Sorry... sorry..." Both Louis and Sophia grinned, nudging Niall to go on with the story.

"Anyways, I was on the balcony of their house, enjoying that afternoon breeze then suddenly I felt a presence behind me. When I turned around, I saw Waliyha. I knew that when Zayn introduced me to the family, Waliyha doesn't like me at all. Anyways, I'm trying my best not to be a snob at his sister even though she was looking at me like when Perrie glares at me every time I'm with Zayn, you know."