Chapter 58

Today is a special day--- it's my birthday! :) 

*****

After working three consecutive weeks with back-to-back photo shoots, Sophia was looking forward to a full week vacation. She planned to do some shopping, mani-pedi sessions and catch up with some friends.

Her morning started with caffeine. After taking a sip of a cup of hazelnut flavored coffee, she heard her phone number. There was an Unknown Number flashing on the LED screen, making her curious about who was calling her. She pressed the answer button, she heard sobbing.

"Hello?"

The person on the other line mumbled that it sounded like gibberish. Sophia could not understand at all, but one thing for certain that it was a guy.

"I'm sorry, I can't understand you," she said, taking another sip.

It took a couple seconds until the guy calms down, and when he spoke, Sophia almost dropped the cup on her hand.

"Sophia, it's Niall..."

"Oh, my God! Are you alright?" She asked, putting down the cup. Sophia feared for her Irish friend.

"I'm al... right..." Niall sniffed, still feeling the heavy heart. He tried the best of his ability to remain calm in a situation like this but how could he?

"Everything is gonna be alright, just tell me what happen," Sophia listened carefully to Niall. After a couple of minutes, she felt her heart breaking in two after hearing the devastating news. "Oh, my God, Niall. I'm so sorry to hear that," she frowned. "Is there something I can do?"

Niall sniffed, trying not to drown from sadness enveloping him. "I might be asking too much here... but I could really use a friend right now..." he said. "If it's not too much trouble."

"Of course, of course," Sophia nodded. "Say no more, Nialler. I'd book the earliest flight I could find."

"Thank you, Sophia," Niall said. "I'd appreciate if you didn't tell anyone about this, most especially the lads."

Sophia found the request odd, but she didn't say anything about it. The most important thing is to be a leaning shoulder for her friend, and that's what she intended to do.

"Of course, Niall. Don't worry about it."

*****

With time against her side, Sophia left her flat as soon as possible to avoid getting stuck in traffic. She still has to find a cab to drive her to the airport. She gave one more glance on her flat before leaving to check if she left the stove open or any electrical appliance that could catch fire. As soon as she opened the door, she was surprised to see a familiar face standing on the doorstep.

It was his ex-boyfriend, Liam Payne.

"Liam?" She asked, her brows furrowed in confusion.

"Hi, Soph..." Liam chuckled nervously, grinning. "How are—"

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh... I... uh..." Liam felt cold sweats forming on his pores, making him more jittery. The stare coming from his ex-girlfriend made him really uncomfortable. But then, he noticed the luggage behind her, indicating him something. "You going somewhere?"

Sophia looked back at her bag behind her. "Uh, yeah. There's this photoshoot that I have to go to," she lied. Sophia can't exactly reveal where she was going, recalling Niall's request not to tell anyone what happened.

"Oh, that's alright."

Sophia glimpsed one more time at her watch. She gasped, realizing that she really need to more her ass before the plane leaves.