Chapter 25 - Not Much Time Left

Disclaimer: Characters belong to Hiro Mashima.

Warning : Swearing & Mature themes.

~Natsu POV~

"Morning mum." I say cheerfully as my mum raises her eyebrow suspiciously at me.

"Why are you so happy this morning even though you have school ?" My mum enquired as she popped some pancakes in my plate. Ahh pancakes..

"Yeah Natsu~ why are you so happy ? Is it to do with Lucy ?" Wendy smirked, wriggling her eyebrows at me.

"Wh-wh uhm no." I stutter out, keeping my head down to cover my blush. I was going to tell them soon. It's only been like two
weeks...

"Natsu, we saw you two kissing the other day, plus you spend more time there than in your own house." My mum pointed out.

"Fine. Yes she's my girlfriend." I said nervously. I always got embarrassed saying the word girlfriend or admitting my relationships out loud.

"Finally you make a good choice." My mum sighed exasperated as she sat down next to me and Wendy. "Plus, Lucy could really use someone to lean on right now.."

I snapped my head up from my plate, looking over at my mum whose happy, serene expression had been replaced by a sad one.

"Why ?" I asked.

"Lucy's mum has cancer Natsu. She's dying....and Lucy doesn't know yet. You mustn't tell her Natsu." My mum said in a raspy voice, on the brink of tears.

I couldn't believe my ears. My mouth was just hanging open in complete and utter shock.

Lucy's mum is going to die...and Lucy doesn't know.

"I have to tell her mum." I say to my mum. If Lucy finds out that I knew about her mum dying and didn't tell her, she'd hate me for it.

"It's not your place to tell her Natsu." My mum says sternly.

"Well, then I'll go talk to Layla." I stood up from the table and ran over to the door, swinging my bag pack on my shoulder.

"Natsu wait-"

I ran out the door, over to the Heartfilia's house. I knocked on the doorbell and was greeted by a boy whom I've never seen before.

"What are you ?" He asked, looking at me up and down.

"I'm a human called Natsu, and I'm also Lucy's boyfriend." I say, staring at him dead in the eye.

"Wow, Lucy's boyfriend. I'm Loke, her cousin." He said, still not letting me past.

"I need to talk to Layla." I say attempting to push my way past him.

"Sorry, you can't come in now. We're busy....breathing ?" He chuckled.

Asshole.

"You better let me in before I take this fist and slam it across your gigantic forehead." I say through clenched teeth.

"I'd like to see you try."

"Fine-"

"Natsu !" Lucy smiled pushing Loke out the way. "I see you've met my cousin Loke."

"Yes, I wish I hadn't." I muttered.

"I feel the same way too Natsu." She laughed.

"Shut up Heartfilia. You better be nice to me, I mean I'll be living with you for a long long time now right ? Just because your mum isn't capable of looking after herself. She's dumb, just like you." He spat.