Chapter 45 - Breakdown

-Natsu POV -

I didn't want to be back at school today, but my mother insisted upon me continuing with my career education. The low murmurs of the crowds buzzed through my ears as rumours viciously began to spread. Some began to say that it was my father that put Wendy in hospital whereas others began to spread even more vile rumours that disgust me to even think about.  My father is locked behind bars. There's no news upon whether he will be out soon or not. Wendy is still in hospital. The injuries she suffered were near fatal and she is incredibly lucky that she is still able to walk. My mother has been splitting her time between my father and Wendy, visiting each in turn.

"Hey bro, you coming to basketball practice ?" Gray smiled trying to take my mind off my situation.

"I have to. I'm the captain." I replied dully. 

I made my way to the locker room and swung my locker open. I harshly ripped my shirt off and threw it in the locker. I felt Gray's worried gaze flicker over me as he changed into his own basketball uniform.

"Stop looking at me like that. I'm fine." I replied. It's the same worried look Lucy kept flashing at me throughout the entire week. It made me feel weak.

"Look Natsu, it's fine to feel sad you know...it's also good to talk about it. We're like brothers, you know you're welcome to come and speak to me whenever." Gray patted my back as we made our way to the gymnasium. We were slightly late to practice but coach luckily let it slide this time.

"Dragneel. Never thought I'd see you here again." Max smirked bouncing the ball infront of me.

"Don't talk to me or even look at me, or else you'll be going in that hoop along with that ball !" I said through clenched teeth.

"What does it feel like to have your daddy in prison and only one person to pay the house bills and the hospital  bills huh ? I think your sister will be in there a long time. It's already been a week right ?"

"Leave me alone you stupid jerk!" I shouted slapping the ball violently out of his hand. Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch the scene unravel between Max and I. Coach stopped telling Loke off and turned his attention towards us.

"Boys, basketball is non contact and fighting is prohibited in the school grounds. Get back to practicing please." Coach stood across the hall with his hands firmly on his hips. I glared at Max but did as coach said and continued on with practicing.

"It's alright coach. Don't blame Natsu for being violent. His father was clearly setting him a bad example back home." I felt my jaw clench tightly  and before I knew it I threw the ball with full force straight at Max's face. The shot was so powerful he fell down and as the ball bounced off, it was clear that the ball had burst not only his nose but also his lip.

"Dragneel !" Coach shouted angrily. "That is now way to react to such provocation !"

"Oh yeah ? You try staying in school with everyone making assumptions about your father and comparing you to a monster. You try coach ! Try it and see how it feels and then come back and tell me that he didn't deserve what he got." My voice shook. I ran to out the gymnasium towards the locker room.

"Natsu!" I heard a voice shout behind me.

"Leave me alone Gray!" I continued to run until I reached the big window on the top floor that overlooked the school grounds. I sunk down the wall opposite it and began to let out the tears.

Natsu Dragneel, the school badboy crying alone in the hallway. Who would have thought...

-Lucy POV-