Chapter 9: First Meeting

Leo's POV:

"You need a break Leone." a voice brought me back into the office.

Charles and I were discussing the finished projects and meetings we have managed to wrap up before the funeral.

A royal funeral in Illyria is a sacred process, especially amongst the Royal Family. It would mean an entire day of honoring the one who died. Then the royal family would have to rest and mourn him properly for three long days. This also means that a public holiday will be decreed that no one in the kingdom should be working as well, this also applies to the parliament sector and corporate businesses.

It was something even workaholics like me could respect. I already picked where I would be spending my three days in peace.

"We will have three days to relax Charles. I do not need a break." I said.

"Your head is not in the game for the last few days, thankfully it was only a few small things that needed finishing." my friend smiled knowingly. "Is it the new Duchess?"

I momentarily lost focus when he spoke of her. It has been a few days since I saw Sarina's picture and I still felt the same sensations; elation, excitement, and most of all, a strong longing to see her in person.

Because I wanted nothing to get in the way of seeing her at the airport, I worked tirelessly to make sure all the important business meetings and objectives are done.

"None of your business." I cleared up the reports and slapped it on Charle's chest. "Maybe I will head home. I will leave organizing these small matters to you."

I left my friend in an irritated manner. I swore I heard him chuckle as my office door closed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The call I received after I ate my dinner made me even more ill at ease.

Catherine has confirmed that the Royal Palace has received Valentine's reply and the new Duchess will attend the funeral. Knowing that my sister is in charge of the Royal Family's team on royal affairs and public relations events. It must be true.

"Have you decided where will she stay?" I asked.

"That would be up to you dear, I only agreed to teach her manners but you should accommodate her and make her stay here enjoyable."

"I will make accommodations for her at the Prestige Hotel." I felt myself growing nervous.

"I called them brother. The Prestige and every other hotel in the city are booked because of the numerous foreign delegates and VIP guests that are attending the funeral."

"Why can't she stay at the Palace?" I asked in a clipped manner.

"Our entire relatives are here and they all occupied the rooms," she said.

I cursed. What a dilemma.

"Uncle's properties were confiscated during his exile so she has no place to go." I quickly thought of other accommodations but most of them were too far from Vanid.

"She could stay with you." my sister suggested.

I felt my mouth open and close but nothing came out. Visions of her gentle smile, her warm hand, and the way she blushed in my dreams made my hands clench; If she and I were to ever be alone together.....

"No." I manage to croak out.

"It would just be for a few days dear, One little female would not change anything."