Chapter 21: Confrontation

Sarina's POV:

My heart was pounding by the time I walked out of the maze as subtly as I could.

Subtle as in making sure I looked presentable and walking slowly, but the truth was I wanted to find Cat as soon as possible after that huge debacle with that jerk of the guy who tried to steal a kiss from me.

Looking back at the situation, I should have avoided the guy who wore a look I knew so well. But somehow my common sense flew out the window when I saw Leone with another woman clinging to him. My heart felt like it was being squeezed.

Especially when my lover leaned down towards her face as if he would kiss her. I felt sick and then accepting his offer to take me somewhere for air was the fatal mistake.

Thank God Leone found me in time and even knocked the asshole in one shot or it might have turned ugly.

As I made my way through the gala, a few of the Illyrian elites greeted me, some stopped me just to ask my opinion on their country's resources.

I have the princess to thank for that because of all the etiquette lessons she taught me these past few days because I made sure to answer them politely in a calm manner before bidding them farewell as I continued to walk towards Cat.

The princess was talking with a few men by the fountain, she saw me and waved them away so that I can approach her.

"Where were you, a lot of people wanted to meet yo-?" Cat smiled at me but then when she saw my face, her expression turned serious. "What happened?"

I told her about what happened in the maze and she looked surprised, shocked, and then thoughtful.

"Wow! You actually made him punch a guy? Leone never gets into fights just for a girl." she then took my hand and closed her eyes. "Hmmm as I thought...you are very special to him."

I notice that she does this practice quite often with me. Strangely she always seems to know exactly what I am feeling as soon as she holds my hand.

Call it a mannerism or whatever but when she looked at me with an affectionate smile, I could not resist asking something....something that has been at the back of my head.

"Cat, Leone took me to a town in Gavin and I read about the legends of your country. He told me about mysterious legends regarding my eyes." I paused for a minute but pressed on. "He also told me about the Seer Lady and I read about how her bloodlines possessed gifts?"

The princess then smiled at me.

"The answer you seek may be a bit of a shock." she stroked my hand. "You must have realized that by now, your meeting with my brother was fate and several unexplainable things have happened to you."

I thought back on the year-long dreams, the odd way I felt when I met Leone for the first time, and the seemingly natural feeling that I belong with him despite our different backgrounds.

And the strangest thing may be my sudden eye color changing.

"Do you want to know Sarina?" Cat's rather soft voice made me look at her.

Curiosity killed the cat as they say but I wanted to know so badly if somehow meeting Leone had any meaning to the dreams I have had of him or how the princess always seems to know what I am feeling.

"Yes. If it shocks me then at least I will know the truth." I said rather bravely.

"You are scared but determined. Follow me." The princess led me away from the party area and led me to one of the small pavilions by the lake.