Chapter 19: Town Legends

Leo's POV:

I felt uneasy and worried as I looked around town searching for Sarina, the townspeople waved and greeted me respectfully, and although I instinctively replied and made small talk with a few of the shop owners I have been friends with. My mind was a mess.

All because of her.

She had left the house early and I saw her note by the bed table by the time I had woken up. She told me that she wanted to buy souvenirs and gifts for the whole house staff when we return.

The first thing I did when after reading the note was to dress up rather quickly and drive to town. Sarina was not familiar with this place and she might be lost or wander off too far, the thought that she might be even hurt or even harassed by some perverted male tourists left a painful cut somewhere in my heart.

So fast forward to the present, I then wondered if my friends saw her so I asked them and described her features. The Crystal ware shopkeeper whose establishment was well known for their iridescent crystal figurines looked delighted upon hearing me describe the last customer who bought some of her new pieces.

"Such a polite and lovely girl. She bought a few animal figures for some friends as she said, She mentioned buying some cured ham and jam for the cook."

"Thanks, Granny." Delighted that I finally have a lead, I bowed and left to go to the town's meat district.

There was only one specialty deli shop in Gavin and that was where I went. I saw a few of the town girls stop me for some selfies and a handshake which I reluctantly obliged before opening the door.

"Miss, Are you sure you can carry that? I can help you with that." a male voice was asking.

"Yes I can, you don't have to carry it all the way to the Lodge House for me." Sarina's voice seems embarrassed.

Maintaining a calm face, I walked right in and despite the general and surprise of the customers in the shop. I trained my eye on Sarina and the owner's son Clint who was a few years younger than me.

"Hello Duchess, enjoying yourself?" at my words the customers became even noisier but I ignored them as I approached her.

"Oh Hi Leone, The shop butcher is out sick so his son has been very polite in helping me pick the best-cured ham for Mrs. Briggs." she did not even look guilty and seems happy to see me up and about.

After smiling at her, My gaze met with the guy beside her. Clint was an old childhood buddy, who always played with me whenever I would sneak into town although I have only seen him a few times ever since I became the crown prince. He was not unappealing, being around 5'7, and has messy brown hair. He held the wrapped ham under his beefy arm and was just an inch apart from touching Sarina's shoulder. It irritated me that he seems to have been charmed by her and she has no idea.

"Clint, The duchess of Ladon is my special guest so I will assist her." I pasted my best polite smile and took the wrapped package from him although what I really wanted was to get him a few inches away from Sarina.

"Oh okay then. I had no idea she was that special of a guest for you to show up here." Clint shook my hands jovially. " Say do you think maybe I can come to visit while you are still here?"

Sarina smiled at him which only irritated me more.

"Sure, we would love t-"

"to have you but unfortunately. We are deciding to stay in town for a while longer so we cannot entertain you today." I cut her off all while sounding polite. " She and I are planning on shopping for gifts to give my staff."