Chapter 22: Alone with you

Leo's POV:

The first thing to greet us was the strong smell of coffee and chocolate. The inside of the cafe was rustic with a small, cozy fireplace for warmth. Small comfy couches, mismatched chairs and round tables filled the place.

I led my duchess to the counter which had a modest display of baked goods and cakes and rang the bell loudly, soon an old friend came out dressed in a white apron

A soft gasp made me turn to look at my lover. She was surprised and a slow blush crept on her face when my friend laughed in his mellow voice.

"So sorry. I was not expecting such a pretty little kitten as Leone's lover. Please excuse my attire."

Xana was an unusual but attractive man indeed. If I was already an oddity among the European royalty then he is even more unique. His skin is a shade darker than mine but it was his pretty face that attracts females to him like flies and he does not even put any effort into it. Maybe it was the aquamarine eyes that was a startling contrast to his skin or the way his lean yet sinewy body moves with innate grace as he walks or greets people.

I could guess why he preferred hiding in peace here in Arcadia and practicing his profession as a pastry chef here. His past escapades were legendary in Europe during his career as a celebrity pastry chef.

As my old friend took my duchess' hand and planted a kiss on it while he introduced himself, I resisted the urge to snatch her hand back but my glare was already in place when our eyes met; his gaze turned puzzled but a fraction later realization dawned on him as he looked at the way I held onto her.

"Ah..so THIS is the one?" his voice sounded rusty as he laughed like he never does this so often. " Rather petite but I could see the charm."

"Yes. Yes. I'll be renting the whole shop for the night. Is my room still available or do you have company tonight?" I said even as I gave him a large wad of money which he took without even counting.

"Unfortunately, I am all alone tonight. I'll take your orders before I disappear into my workshop. So what will it be?"

"Can I get that please?" Sarina pointed to a rather glassy and fragile cake which was decorated with melted sugar wings and some shiny chocolate orbs. The way her eyes looked longingly at the dessert made Xana pause to stare at her face with his warmest smile yet as he placed the cake on a tray.

"I can give you another. Free of charge. Choose another, Your Grace."

That surprised me. Xana NEVER gives anything for free, unless he had a sudden soft spot for the person.

The last person he gave his desserts to was his wife before he married her.

But Rina was not aware of this and proceeded to choose a dome cake with a starry night mirror glaze and caramel candy swirls. After some time, Xana seated us near the fireplace and brought our desserts and drinks before he left after cleaning up.

The air around us became a bit tense after a few minutes even as we ate the desserts. I would see her looking at me and jumping slightly when our eyes met before her gaze goes back to her cake.

It was not a good idea to lose control of my gift in front of her but when I saw how Keira towered over her and she was shielding herself, I just lost it.

No one will ever harm her.

I vowed that to myself a long time ago because I knew what she has been through before she came into my life.

But fear was like a cold poison, slowly paralyzing me from telling her the gift I possess which could unnerve her enough to leave me and never come back.