Chapter 11: An After Party Invite

Sarina's POV:

I had slept like a baby last night. Somehow I was so sure that being in a foreign country would
somehow alter my sleep patterns but I was wrong.

It was 7:00 am when I went out of my room and one of the maids looked surprised at seeing how I am up early and approached me. She looked kind and had freckles with ginger hair, I remembered that she was also sweet to me during the last dinner.

"Good morning milady, I-Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"Oh nothing really, I am just hungry. May I ask where the kitchens are uhm...Melissa right?" I remembered Mrs. Briggs call her that last night at dinner.

"Ye-yes." Melissa smiled and blushed at me, apparently pleased that I remember her name."Mrs. Cora is cooking right now but I can make some snacks for you while you wait milady."

"No need, I'll see what is in the kitchen to swipe and eat." I winked at her. " Show me the way."

The housekeeper was whistling as she pulled out a tray of mini pies from the oven when I came in.  She was about to greet whoever came in when she saw me and Melissa, she also looked really surprised to see me up so early.

"Lady Sarina, breakfast is almost ready. The young master has another guest coming in so I need to make a bit more than usual," she said.

"What can I do to help?" I asked but that made the women look flustered.

"Mi-Milady, we cannot possibly allow you to do such work. You are our guest and we cannot possibly ask you to cook." Melissa said.

I keep forgetting that I have a title now but I just smiled.

"Mrs. Briggs, I have worked since I was 20, and although I am a Duchess now. It isn't like me to just sit around and twiddle my thumbs, allow me to help you prepare breakfast because I love to cook and I would love to be of assistance please."

Despite a few protests, the housekeeper finally let me cook the eggs, potato hash, and bacon while she sliced the muffins and bread. Melissa helped by setting the table and slicing fruits.

Mrs. Briggs saw that I know how to handle food and asked if I cooked a lot, after that we became more open with each to the point where I told her about my cousin Sey and how she eats a lot; the housekeeper laughingly told me about her big family of 8 who loves her cooking as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after 2 hours of preparing food, Mrs. Briggs shooed me out of the kitchen to take a quick shower. When I got out, Melissa was waiting in my bedroom and has laid out a simple white blouse, lilac sweater, an ornate flower belt, and rose-colored trousers.

"Is this to your liking Milady?"

"It's perfect Melissa but are we going out?"

"Oh no, but since you will be eating breakfast with the Prince and Master Charles. Mrs. Briggs decided that you should dress up a bit and the Princess will be arriving to begin your lessons at around 11:30 am."

Having a maid help with dressing up was a pretty new experience since I was capable of putting things on myself. She even blow-dried my hair and even styled it into an intricate ponytail, letting my hair fall on my right side and exposing my nape on the other side.

It felt rather nice.

"Milady?" she asked when I decided on just wearing a simple silver watch from my jewel box.

"Yes and please Melissa, call me Sarina."

The maid blushed.

"Miss Sarina, If you don't mind me being forward. You are so different than what I had hoped you'd be."