Surprise!

Surprise

Laurel's POV

Home Sweet Home. I smile as I'm driving through town. Turning off the air in my car, I flip the switch that lets down the top down of the car so the crisp Texas air can blow threw my hair.

The music playing on my radio dims and an electronic voice comes over the speaker.

"You have an incoming call from Mel."

I answer the call and put it on the radio bluetooth.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I greet Melony. 

"Hiya!"

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Nothing much. Just wanted to see if you'd made it yet."

Melony and I have been going to the same college for 2 years. Her to be a pediatrician and me to be a criminal justice lawyer. She had way more schooling left than me so she decided to stay at C.U. and go to school through the summer this year since she hadn't done it our freshman summer vacation. So I'm home this summer by myself.

"Yeah, I'm passing through town right now." I smile to myself.

"Does everything still look the same?" Mel asks longingly.

Even though we'd decided to leave C.U. last summer, we didn't come home. We went on a Road Trip, seeing unique places all over the States. The last time we'd been in Texas was the Christmas break of our Freshman year. So we hadn't seen our families in about a year.

"Everything is about the same." I say, passing Knightgale High and it's vacant parking lot. "I just passed Knightingale."

"How does it look?" Melony questions.

"Empty." I state.

"Figures." She yawns. "I'll call you later. I need to take a nap before class later on."

"Okay. I'm pulling up to the house anyway." I sigh, coming to a stop in my parents' driveway.

"Alright. Call me once you get settled in."

"Okay. Bye." I say, my finger hovering over the end call button.

"Bye." Melony says before clicking off the line.

I turn off the car so Steph won't hear an engine running outside. Even though I've been planning on coming home for the past few weeks I didn't tell anybody but Mel and little Edie. I grab my purse from the passenger's seat and walk up to the door. I reach to open the door knob and of course it's unlocked. Same-old, same old.

Stepping into the house, I quietly set my purse down on the coffee table, hearing little Edie's voice in the kitchen. I smile and tiptoe around the corner and into the kitchen's doorway. Hiding behind the frame of the doorway, I peek into the kitchen. Edie's sitting on the floor infront of the fridge, playing with her mini tea party set while Steph has her back facing me, chopping something on the cutting board.

I stretch my neck out, allowing my face to come into view which immediately catches Edie's attention. Her cute little face lights up and I happily smile back in return, quickly bringing my finger to my lips to remind her to stay quiet. She nods in understanding before picking herself up off the ground and walking over to Steph.

Without saying a word, she leans up against Steph's side and smiles, batting her long beautiful eyelashes. Steph's cheek rise like she's smiling and strokes Edie's long brown ringlets, then turns her attention back to cooking. Taking that as my cue, I silently walk up behind Steph and cover her eyes with my hands. I wink at Edie and in her sweet little voice she says: