Day 2

Day 2

Laurel’s POV

As much as I would have loved to stay home this morning and get Steph back for her little tease yesterday, I have other issues that need to be handled before I jet off to England tomorrow night. That is why I rose before the sun, and was walking out the house just an hour and a half later.

Now Aurora and I are sitting inside Judge Morgan’s chambers while we wait for him to get out of court. Apparently, Judge Morgan and Aurora are close. This is why we are allowed to invade in his personal time between court cases and wait in his chambers instead of on one of those hard cold benches out in the waiting area.

We’ve been here since 8:30am. And since we’ve been alone Aurora has talked about anything and everything to avoid talking about her date.

“So you’re just going to sit here and act like you don’t have a date you need to be dishing about right now?” I ask, sipping the small bottle of Minute Maid Lemonade Judge Morgan’s secretary offered me when we came in.

“Yes, I am.” Aurora says, suddenly engrossed in whatever is on her phone.

“Uh uh.” I rebuke her, taking her phone out of her hands. “We don’t keep things from each other. Spill it.”

“What is your new found obsession with taking my phone from me?” Aurora whines, folding her arms across her chest.

“What has your attention so much anyway? I wonder, looking down at her screen.

Its open to the iMessage screen with Paul’s name at the top where the recipient's name goes. Not reading the messages, I scroll to the top and see that they've been texting back and forth since 5am this morning.

“You two obviously hit off. You have to tell me how the date went now.” I smile, turning her phone of.

“I don’t have to tell you anything.” Aurora huffs, attempting to snatch her phone out of her hand.

“You do if you want your phone back so you can keep texting Paul.” I grin, putting an extra bit of flavor on the way I say his name.

Spinning her phone between my fingers, I tuck it under my thigh. The coolness of the screen against my bare thigh makes me shiver. I’d decided to wear a dress this morning. It was short, tight-fitting, and a navy blue color with one of those stretchy black dress belts wrapped around my waist. I’d matched the dress with black 5-inch stilettos and a black and white striped suit jacket. Obviously I looked pretty good because I’ve been stopped by 3 men today who asked me for my number or out on a date. Too bad I’m gay...and taken.

“You’re really doing this right now?” Aurora frowns.

“We’re not doing anything else.” I shrug.

“Fine.” she sighs before launching into the story.

She went home after she left the firm, made the call to Judge Morgan then stressed about what to wear until about 5. Then she decided on a body-hugging, short, single-shoulder, burgundy dress. She’d done her makeup and hair flawlessly before going to meet Paul at Bella Anima. She’d arrived at 6:50, but he was already at the door of the restaurant waiting with flowers. Ironically, he’d gotten more brownie points for being earlier than he had gotten for the flowers.

“We didn’t talk about work, which I was grateful for.” Aurora smiles happily. “We’d just talked about random things. Like our favorite movies and weird habits we have. We talked so much that we forgot to actually eat our food and we ended up putting everything in To-Go boxes.” she laughs.