Introductions

Introductions

Laurel's POV

The cool air conditioning sends my bone straight hair flying behind me as I walk into M&K's doors for my first day at work.

"You're back." The receptionist calls out to me at the door.

"Uh, yeah." I say, walking up to the marble desk.

"So you got the job. Congratulations!" she smiles.

"Thanks. I'm Laurel." I say, reaching my hand out to her behind the desk.

"I'm Stacie." she says shaking it.

"How long have you worked here?" I ask casually.

"About a year. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing."

"I'll bet." I nod. "What's it like working here>"

"Interesting." Stacie says, raising her eyebrow mischievously.

"Really?" I ask in a hush tone.

"Oh yeah! But that's a another story for another day. Right now we're gonna get your work I.D. so you can get up to Mrs. Maryland's office. She's a bitch when her workers are late." Stacie informs me.

I nod in understanding and Stacie presses a button on her desk phone.

"Tyler?" she calls.

"Yeah?" A male's voice says from the speaker.

"We have a new assistant here who needs a work I.D."

"Be there in a sec."

Stacie moves her hand off the button and smiles.

"Tyler's the head of security here. He's just going to take a picture of you to put on your I.D. so you can have access to all the things in the building."

"I'm glad I decide to put a little thought into my look today." I chuckle, playing with the gold bangles I'd slipped on my right arm this morning. "I didn't know I'd be taking a picture."

"Oh don't worry. This picture will only be on your I.D. for the rest of your career here at M&K." Stacie teases.

"Thank you. I feel so much better." I laugh.

"Hey, hey, hey." A man says as he walks up to the desk.

"Tyler, this is Laurel." Stacie introduces us.

"Nice to meet you." I nod, shifting my Starbucks from my right hand to my left.

"Likewise." Tyler smiles at me, reaching out to shake my hand.

"She's the one who needs the I.D. so can you get that to her quickly? She can't be late. She's working for Alexa." Stacie explains to Tyler.

"Got it, come with me." Tyler says.

I look to say goodbye to Stacie but she's on the company's phone, writing a message on to a mini yellow note pad. So I grab my laptop carrier from off the desk and trail behind Tyler to a room not far from the lobby.

"Just stand in front of that wallpaper and put on your best model face." Tyler says, flicking on a bunch of camera lights.

I set my things on a small table covered with newspaper scraps. Stepping in front of the large piece of wallpaper I put on my best resting bitch face.

"Oh come on. Pretty girl like you ought to have a smile than that." Tyler says, stepping behind the camera.

"Nope, I don't." I shrug playfully.