Dinner

Dinner

Laurel's POV

Running around town all day looking for a summer job has me exhausted. After coffee with Liv, I ventured around the city checking out places that were advertising open positions. Lucky me, I came across this prestigious law firm right in the middle of the city that has an opening as an assistant for one of the firm's most successful attorneys.

I walked in and asked the lobby receptionist how I should apply for the opening. The receptionist immediately sent me to Human Resources on the fourth floor. The Human Resources lady asked me about my experience. I told her I'm currently going into my junior year at Columbia University, majoring in Pre-Law I guess that was enough because she set up an interview with the attorney in need. Tomorrow I'm due at Morrison & Kingston Law Firm at 8am.

Arriving home, I park my car in the driveway in front of the house and get out, walking up to the front door. Inside the house, it's relaxingly cool and quiet and I smell cooking aromas wafting in the air. Setting my purse and keys on the small glass table next to the door, I make my way to the kitchen. Edie's sitting at the bar coloring in what looks like a Frozen coloring book.

"Hey baby." I say, kissing her on the forehead. "How was the playdate with Sara?"

"Really fun!" Edie smiles. "Mrs. Hannah took us to Smoothie King and got us smoothies before bringing me home."

"Oh really. What kind did you get?"

"I don't know." Edie shrugs, "But it tasted like strawberries and watermelons."

"Sounds yummy." I say, grabbing the counter to steady myself as I take off my heels.

As I'm setting my heels on the ground the stove timer goes off. Hurrying over to the stove, I open the door to see 6 pieces of golden Texas Toast. Grabbing the nearest oven mitt, I pull them out of the oven and set the pan on the counter. Seconds later Steph comes rushing into the kitchen, looking as stressed as she did last night.

"Thank you." she says when she realizes that I took the bread out of the oven for her.

"No problem." I say, turning around to stir the boiling spaghetti sauce.

"I just got distracted." Steph explains, coming over to the stove to turn off the spaghetti noodles.

"It's fine." I assure her, placing my hand on the small of her back.

Her body stiffens and she moves from under my hand quickly, taking the spaghetti noodles from the stove to drain them in the sink. I stare at her back in confusion. Even if I had made her uncomfortable, Steph would have never been so abrupt above moving away. What's wrong with her?

"Hey baby girl!"

I turn around to see my father standing in the kitchen doorway. That's what's wrong with her.

"Hey Daddy." I say smiling.

Though I love and missed my father, I'm extremely unhappy with his actions at the moment.

"Where's my hug?" He asks opening his arms.

I laugh, walking up to him and wrapping my arms around his neck. The familiar scent of his cologne engulfs my face. He wraps his arms around my waist and squeezes me tight, lifting me up off the ground.

"It's been too long." My father says as he sets me down.

"I know Daddy."

"How have you been? You look so..."