Rejection Hurts

Chapter 26

Rejection Hurts

Laurel's POV

“What took you so long?” Aurora asks me as I walk out the from door of the firm.

“Long story.” I say, looking around and finding April a few feet away on the phone.

“So many of these long stories. You’ve been a very busy girl this summer.” She nudges me playfully.

“You don’t know the half of it.” I sigh, handing her the documents.

“We’ll catch up later.” she assures me. “Ready to go?”

“Actually I’m meeting Steph here so we can go shopping before we leave tonight.” I say looking at my phone for the time.

    8:55am.

“I guess I’ll stick around then. I’d love to meet her.” Aurora smiles.

    Rolling my eyes, I look out into the parking lot to see a random car with an Uber sticker turning into the lot.

“That looks like her.” I say, gesturing towards the Uber.

    The back door of the car opens and she steps out. She’s in a pair of dark skinny jeans and the peach button-up I helped her put on this morning but now she has it unbuttoned with a white cami underneath and black combat boots on her tiny feet.

    Her hair swirls freely around her face as she walks towards us, smiling.

“Hi.” she greets me shyly.

“Hey.” I smile, pecking her on her lips softly.

    She looks surprised but doesn’t object.

“Laurel, where are your manners?” Aurora jokes, elbowing me. “I’m Aurora. You must be Steph.” She says, extending her hand out for Steph to shake.

“That’s me.” Steph smiles. “I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Likewise. Though she didn’t do your beauty any justice. You’re gorgeous.” Aurora compliments.

“Not as absolutely stunning as you are. Your eyes are unbelievable.” Steph says, brushing a piece of hair out of her face.

“Thank you.” Aurora smiles. “Well as much as I would love to stick around and chat, I have an early date. Steph, it was nice meeting you. And Laurel, call me later.” Aurora says, leaning in to give me a hug.

    She wraps her arms around my waist, lifting me off the ground a little.

“Bye Ror.” I smile as she releases me.

“Bye babe.” Aurora girls, waving at us as she walks away towards April.

“She’s nice.” Steph comments as we watch her exchange words with April.

“Yeah. She’s remarkable. She just got April ten times a better deal than she would have gotten in court. And I think April has finally been able to find some peace in the midst of all of this. She’s been so happy today.” I say, taking Steph’s hand in mine.

“I’m glad everything worked out.”

“Me too.” I sigh in relief.

    Steph opens her mouth to say something but stops when she notices April coming in our direction.

“Hey.” I smile comfortingly.

“Hey. I just came over to say thank you and goodbye. I know you quit so we probably might not be seeing each other as much. I just want you to know how appreciative I am of everything you and Aurora did for me. You guys are lifesavers.”