Breakfast

Breakfast

Laurel's POV

"Sissy. Sissy!"

          Bregrudgingly, I open my eyes, turning my head to look at Eden who's kneeled next to me on the bed.

"Yes Edie?" I yawn, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

"I'm hungry." She whispers.

"Okay." I say, stretching the lower half of my body. "Give me s sec, and I'll meet you in the kitchen."

          She smiles and scurries happily off the bed and into the hallway. Sighing, I twist to my right to look at Steph who ended up asleep on my arm last night. Watching her sleep is absolutely mesmerizing. She stirs a little, and several pieces of her hair fall seductively over her right eye. Smiling, I carefully remove my arm from under her and head for the kitchen where a very hungry two-year old awaits.

          Walking into the kitchen, I find a wide awake Eden sitting on the bar counter playing with the counter decorations.

"Are you usually up and buzzing this early?" I ask, smiling.

"We both are most times." Edie says, climbing down off the counter.

"Who's we?" I inquire, turning on the coffee maker.

"Me and Mommy."

"Well, Mommy had a long night."

          Edie nods.

"So what do you want to eat Kiddo?"

"Um, can I have pancakes?" Edie asks, batting her long dark eyelashes and flashing her cutest smile.

"I guess so." I smile, reaching over to poke Edie's cheek.

         Edie giggles preciously, tucking her chin into her chest.

"Wanna go get the plates and stuff for breakfast?" I ask Edie.

"Sure sissy." Edie complies, skipping over to the utensils drawer.

          Eden wanders happily around the kitchen as I make the pancakes.

"Laur?"

"Yes Edie?"

"Are you going to be here for my birthday?"

"When's your birthday again?" I tease her.

        I look over my shoulder at her, and she has the cutest appalled expression on her face I've ever seen.

"I was just kidding." I laugh, "I know when your birthday is."

"When is it then?" Edie demands sassily with her hand on her hip.

"July 31st." I say grinning at her. "And yes, I will be here for your birthday."

"Good." Edie smiles, taking a seat at one of the placemats she set.

       Seconds later, the Keurig coffee maker beeps telling me the coffee's ready. Flipping the last few pancakes from the pan to the platter, I grab my coffee mug and press the dispense button on the coffee maker until my cup is filled. Mixing in the liquid creamer and the sugar, just as I'm bringing the mug to my lips Steph walks in fully dressed.

"Something smells good." She smiles, kissing Edie on her forehead.

"Laur made pancakes Mommy." Edie says.

"Yay." Steph smiles, quickly glancing at me then away again.

         I bring the platter of pancakes from by the stove and set then next to Edie's placemat.  Moving 2 pancakes to her plate, I cut them up and cover them with syrup. Then quietly taking a seat on the counter next to the sink.