Purely A Complication

August 12th

The Evening Before The Wedding

Purely A Complication

Third Person POV

Three limos had shown up to the mansion to take everyone to the rehearsal dinner. One for the parents and grandparents, the second for Steph, Janet, and the bridesmaids, and the last for Grace and Julia. Everyone left the house in the order that their car arrived and now the girls trailed behind the first limo but cruised in front of the last.

Everyone chatted aimlessly except for Steph who sat in silence.

"Before we get to the restaurant," Janet started loudly. "Is everyone ready to give their little minute speech at dinner?"

"M-m-minute speech?" Faith stuttered nervously.

"Yeah," Janet furrowed her eyebrows, confused by Faith's surprised expression. "My mother and Mama Mae said every bridesmaid is to give a speech or presentation at the rehearsal dinner. Didn't they tell you guys?"

"No!" All the bridesmaids shouted in unison.

"I'm so screwed. I'm awful at public speaking. I failed Speech class my sophomore year!" Mel griped.

"Don't worry babe. I got you." Liv grinned, putting her hand on Mel's thigh, unphased by the abrupt announcement of the impromptu speeches.

Mel rolled her eyes at Liv but made no attempt to get Liv's hand off her thigh.

"The only person who is excused is Steph since she's technically not a bridesmaid," Janet said, looking over at Steph.

Steph was completely zoned out. Janet took notice of this and leaned into Steph's line of sight but Steph stared straight through her obviously. Janet lifted her fingers up to Steph's face and snapped twice. Steph blinked and jumped back at Janet's closeness.

"What's wrong, Sparky?" Janet asked with a smile as she leaned away from Steph's face.

"Nothing. Why?" Steph forced a smile.

"Where was your head at?" Janet inquired.

"Here." Steph widened her fake smile. "I was just thinking."

Janet looked at Steph skeptically, debating on whether or not to pry.

"How are we doing this entrance into the dinner?" Steph changed the subject.

This distracted Janet just as Steph had hoped and she was free to let her mind wander as it had been doing before.

A few minutes later, the girls' limo pulled up to the fancy restaurant where the rehearsal dinner was being held. As they all filed out the limo, Janet noticed the ridiculous amount of space between Steph and Laurel. Though she didn't have time to address is because Grace and Julia's limo pulled up soon after and out stepped the world's happiest couple. It was nothing but smiles and love that radiated off the brides-to-be and this quickly overshadowed the tension between Steph and Laurel. Janet didn't give the feuding couple a second thought as the group went into the restaurant. The table attendant led them to the banquet hall before going back to his post.

"Steph," Janet called when they stood at the hall's closed double doors. "You'll be sitting with me at the family's table since the bridal party sits with Grace and Julia at a separate table. Hope you don't mind."

"Of course I don't." Steph genuinely smiled as she walked over to Janet.

It would be nice to be by Janet's humorous spirit all evening. She knew for sure it would lift her up out of the sulkiness she'd let herself sink into.