Parking Lot Meetings

Laurel's POV

Sitting in my office, I open the files Adam from Documentation just dropped off. Alexa asked me about fifteen minutes ago to pull up the firm's files for a Mia Harris.

"Laurel?" A voice calls from the speaker of my desk phone.

I press the talk button and reply:

"Yes?"

"Laurel, it's Stacie."

"Hey Stacie. What's up?"

"I was just checking in to see if you were ready to leave for lunch yet."

I click on my cellphone to see the time. 1:15pm.

"Yeah," I sigh, getting up from my seat. "I'm just going to drop some files off to Alexa then I'll meet you in the lobby."

"Okay. See you then." Stacie says, ending the call.

Picking up the files, I slip my laptop into my desk's top drawer and make my way to Alexa's office.

Arriving at the door, I can hear the faint mumbles of voices deep in conversation. I lift my hand and knock on the door. The mumbling stops and I hear Alexa's voice say:

"Come in."

I open the door and walk in to find Alexa and another woman sitting side by side in the chairs across from her desk.

"Good afternoon." I say to the woman next to Alexa.

She nods at me, smiling a little.

"How can I help you Laurel?" Alexa asks professionally.

"I have the files you asked for on Mrs. Mia Harris." I say lifting the folders up a little.

The lady grins and pushes her dark caramel blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Laurel, this is Mrs. Mia Harris." Alexa introduces, gesturing towards the woman next to her.

Mia stands up and reaches her hand out. I step forward and shake it, setting the files on the corner of Alexa's desk.

"Nice to meet you Laurel." Mia says, holding my hand a little longer than necessary.

"Likewise Mrs. Harris." I say, casually pulling my hand out of hers.

"Oh please, call me Mia. I'm nearly done with the Harris name anyway." she laughs.

"And you're happy about that?" I ask skeptically.

"I am." Mia smiles.

"Well congratulations." I reply.

"Thank you very much." Mia winks, sitting back down in her chair.

Shifting my attention to Alexa I say:

"Can I speak to you for a second, if you don't mind."

"Yes of course." Alexa rises up from her seat. "Excuse me for a moment." she says to Mia.

Mia nods and Alexa gets up and follows me to her office door.

"What is it?" Alexa asks quietly.

"I just wanted to see if you needed anything before I leave on my lunch break."

"No, you go ahead." Alexa encourages.

I turn to walk out the door.

"Wait." she whisper-shouts.

"Yeah?" I turn back around to look at her.