Phone Calls

Phone Calls

Laurel's POV

The sun is beaming down on me through my windshield as I move aimlessly down the interstate. It was just my luck that the meeting eneded when it did. So now I'm caught in the late lunchtime traffic.

The traffic that was just now moving along comes to a complete stop and I sigh in exasperation. Impatiently, I let up my car windows and turn on the air conditioner and the radio. The music seems to help with my nerves a little.

My fingers beat rhythmically on the steering wheel while I wait for the cars ahead of me to move. Suddenly, out the corner of my eye, I see my LED light flashing from my phone that I shoved into the side of my briefcase.

Reaching over to get it, I see a name I haven't seen flash across my screen in ages: Julia. Shocked, I accidentally drop the phone down by my feet just as the cars in front of me start to move.

My heart starts racing, and a nervous shiver runs over my body. Coincidentally, the traffic lightens up and the cars around me start moving, keeping me from reaching down to get the phone.

I watch the phone ring, and I start to feel guilty. She's going to think I didn't answer on purpose.

She stays on the line until it sends her to my voicemail. Damn it.

The traffic slows down again and I'm able to stretch my seatbelt enough to reach down and get the phone, and Mel's name appears on the screen.

"Hello?" I answer.

"So you are near your phone." Mel acknowledges.

"Yeah..." I say, switching her over to the bluetooth in the car.

"So why didn't you answer the phone when Julia called?"

"Because when I saw who was calling, I accidentally dropped it on the ground by my feet in the car and I couldn't get it because I was driving." I explain.

"Um hmm. Excuses" Mel mumbles in disbelief. "She's about to call again and this time you better answer."

"Okay, bossy." I roll my eyes.

She hands up and minutes later my phone is ringing just like she said it would be.

"Hello?" she says as I answer the phone.

Her voice makes me shiver.

"Hi." I reply nervously.

"I'm glad you answered the phone this time." she laughs goodnaturedly.

"I was surprised when I seen your name on my phone and I dropped it while I was driving." I laugh embarrassingly. "I didn't get the chance to get it until after you'd already hung up."

"I know, Mel told me." she chuckles.

"I assumed as much. I just wanted you to hear it from me." I blush.

"I'm just glad to hear anything from you. It's been so long."

"I know." I sigh. "I just felt kind of awkward after you told me you were getting married."

I hate the way I just naturally open up to her.

"Why?" she asks.

"Wouldn't you feel awkward if your ex/supposed best friend just popped up out of nowhere with a wedding announcement to someone you know absolutely nothing about."

"I guess I would too."

"Exactly." I grumble. "And I mean, I literally know nothing about this woman."

If Loving You Is Wrong...On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara