Release

Release

Laurel's POV

It's so refreshing to actually be able to feel the Texas air against my skin and not be stuck inside the office until the sun is just about to go down. All four windows of my car are down as I speed through town.

Leaving the firm, I decided to take the long way home to clear my head. My head is definitely clear now and I know exactly what I need to do to make it up to Steph.

Pulling into my driveway, I let up my windows and get out of the car, swinging my keys around my pointer finger on the way to the front door. Of course the door is already unlocked when I push my key inside the lock. She really needs to start locking this thing, I think to myself as I step inside the house. The cold air cools my skin uncomfortably but I know I'll get over it once I'm inside long enough. The scent of Lavender Fabulosos drifts pleasantly pass my nose as I walk further into the house. I can hear low murmurs coming from somewhere close and I follow the sound of them and they lead me to the living room where I realize the voices are coming from the TV.

"Hey, you're home early."

My head snaps around to look behind me and I see Steph on the couch surrounded by piles of folded clothes and plastic baskets.

"Did the firm close early?" she asks.

"No, I just left." I say, moving through the maze of clothes baskets to get to the couch.

I pick up a stack of folded shirts and sit in their place next to Steph.

"Did something happen?" Steph asks, folding up a light blue short sleeved shirt and setting it on my lap.

"Not anything we need to talk about at this moment." I answer, leaning in closer towards her face.

Her hair is up in a ponytail and she looks like she didn't sleep much last night.

"I think we have other important things to talk about."

"Do we?" Steph sighs, getting up from the couch, grabbing a basketful of folded clothes.

She begins weaving through the rest of the baskets on the floor, moving towards the hallway. Hastily, I toss the clothes off my lap onto the couch and follow her. I knew she was gonna make this difficult. Shouldn't expect anything less.

"Yes we do." I say, walking behind her into Eden's room.

"So you're talking to me now?" Steph asks, setting the basket on Eden's bed.

"Of course I am. I never stopped talking to you." I say, watching Steph cross back and forth between the bed and the dresser, stuffing clothes into the drawers.

"Steph." I sigh.

"What?" She demands walking into the living room to get more clothes.

"I wasn't not talking to you last night. I was just..."

"Just what?" Steph inquires, strutting down the hall again and into her room.

"I was just...overwhelmed."

"Bye me?" she ass offensively.

"Of course not! Its work. It's had me on edge lately and I didn't want to take it out of you." I explain.

"Hmm." Steph mumbles disgruntledly, slamming a dresser drawer shut.

I sigh, knowing I'm going to have to work a lot harder to get her to forgive me. But I have to get her to actually sit down and look at me or nothing I say will work.