The Interview

*IN THE MEDIA IS BEYONCE'S "FREEDOM" LYRIC VIDEO FROM THE SPECTACULAR ALBUM: "LEMONADE". *

The Interview

Laurel's POV

Tryna rain, tryna rain on the thunder Tell the storm I'm new. I'ma walk, I'ma march on the regular. Painting white flags blue. Lord forgive me, I've been running. Running blind in the truth. I'ma rain, I'ma rain on this bitter love. Tell the sweet I'm new. I'm telling these tears "Go and fall away, fall away". May the last burn into flames.

I listen to Beyonce's new song "Freedom" blast from my phone, telling me it's 5:45. Meaning it's time for me to get up for this interview.

Do I really need a job? I ask myself as I think about how good it would feel to sleep a little longer. Yes. I finally conclude, throwing the cover off of me as I get out of bed.

I trudge tiredly into my bathroom and turn on my shower. While waiting for the water to get to the right temp, I stroll into my closet and pick out a beige pantsuit with a Plum colored blouse to go underneath with a pair of beige heels. Laying it all on the counter, I watch all the pieces of my outfit come together and I nod in approval before undressing and stepping into the shower.

15 minutes later, I have on my pants and the blouse I picked out as I wand curl my hair. I finish curling my hair and I begin to pull apart the larger curls, making smaller looser curls appear. Fluffing out my hair, I spray on a little Victoria's Secret perfume and grab my stuff as I head into the kitchen. Walking into the kitchen, I see Steph with her back facing as she busies herself with the coffee maker.

"Good morning." I say, using the counter to steady myself as I put my heels on.

"Good morning." Steph replies, turning around to look at me.

She's still in her pajamas and she looks like she went to hell and back overnight with bags under her eyes big enough to sleep in.

"You look tired." I say.

"I didn't get much sleep last night." Steph sighs.

"Why not? Is it because of last night?" I ask, checking to see if everything I need is in my folder for the interview.

"What do you mean last night." She inquires.

"Dinner." I clarify.

"Oh, uh, yeah. It was because of dinner." She mumbles, staring down into her empty coffee mug.

"Are you sure?" I ask her suspiciously.

She's an awful liar.

"What else would it be about?"

"I don't know. You tell me." I probe.

"It was dinner." Steph says, sounding like she was trying to convince someone that wasn't me.

"Um hmm." I say in disbelief.

Steph turns around and pours coffee into her cup before looking at me again.

"You look nice. Going somewhere?"

"That interview at Morrison & Kingston remember."

"Oh. I completely forgot." Steph says shaking her head. "What time do you think you'll be home?"

"Uh, no later than 12, 12:30. Why?"

"Well, your father's flight to California leaves at 12."

"That's really close." I say, slipping in the pearl earrings I got out of my purse.