Let's Start Over

Let's Start Over

Steph's POV

My head throbs as I walk the halls of this unknown mansion. I rushed out of the room from Laurel so fast I hadn't bothered to put on shoes or clothes really besides this robe and the cold stone floor beneath my bare feet is making my body shiver. All I have is my phone with absolutely no one to call to settle my nerves.

An idea coming to me, I stop mid-hall to try and calculate what time it would be back in the states where my parents are. Assuming they're still at their beach house in Florida with all the kids, I trun on my phone to check the time.

1:02 a.m.

If it's 1:02 here, with the 5 hour time difference it should be 6:02 there. Are they up yet? It's worth a try.

Unlocking my phone, I pull up the dial pad and quickly type in my mother's number. With the phone to my ear, I listen to the phone ring for 5 seconds before someone picks up.

"Stephanie?"

"Hi Mom." I breathe in relief.

"Oh my baby! How are you? I haven't heard from you in what feels like forever."

"I know Mama; I'm sorry, My life has just been really...busy."

"I understand, dear." she says, dismissing my explanation. "Tell me, how are you?"

"I'm great Mom." I fake smile, as if she could see it.

"Stephanie. I'm your mother. I know when you're lying to me. How are you really?"

I draw in a shaky deep breath as I try and force down the tears threatening to overflow.

"It's a really long story. Can we just save this for another time please" I really just want to speak to my daughter." I say wearily.

"I'll go get her." my mother says, sensing she isn't about to get any information from me any time soon.

"Eden! Eden baby! Your mother is on the phone!" I hear my mother call out.

A few seconds pass then my mother says:

"Here she is."

"Mommy?"

"Hi baby?" I smile weakly.

"Mommy! I miss you!"

"I miss you too pumpkin. How are you?"

"I'm great Mommy! I'm having so much fun!"

"Oh yeah?" I say in mock happiness, wishing I could have my daughter in my arms.

"Yeah! We go to the beach almost everyday!" Eden tells me excitedly.

A burning lump appears in my throat as I listen to the pure excitement in my daughter's voice. For some odd reason, hearing her sweet angelic voice is really making me put everything into perspective. I've been living these last few weeks as if I only have to live for myself when that's anything but true.

"Mommy! DId you hear me?" Eden demands.

"I'm sorry baby." I shake my head, clearing it. "Mommy was just thinking. What did you say?"

"Grandma and Grandpa are taking us to DIsney World!"

"Wow! That's great honey!" I exclaim, shifting on my feet purposelessly.

"Are you okay Mommy?" Eden asks solemnly.

Sometimes I wonder how she sifts like that. From playful to serious. She's a child and enjoys childlike things but when the time comes she is my realest, truest, friend.