Speaking Of Exes

Speaking Of Exes

Laurel's POV

"Laurel!"

          I turn around, and low and behold who do I see?

"Liv!" I say in surprise.

"None other than." She smiles, stepping off the slab of concrete as she walks out of Starbucks.

"What are you doing here?" I scream happily, running up to her.

"I should be asking you the same thing." Liv says, pulling me into a hug.

          I smile, wrapping my arms around her waist, careful not to spill my coffee as we rock from side to side energetically.

**********

"So tell me, what bought you back home?" Liv asks me as we take a seat at one of Starbucks' outside circular picnic tables with the green umbrella above it.

"Summer vacation." I shrug. "I needed a break from school."

"And what about Melony...is she around her somewhere?" Liv asks, a hint of humor in her tone.

"No unfortunately." I say, sipping my iced coffee.

"Oh." Liv sighs, dipping her finger into the whip cream at the top of her drink, and putting her finger in her mouth.

"Liv, if you want to know how Mel is doing just ask." I laugh.

"How is she?" Liv blushes embarassingly.

"She's good. She's still at Columbia University with me. Her parents are legally seperated right now, so that's definitely taken its toll on her."

"Oh wow. That's awful." Liv frowns.

"You could always give her a call, ya know. I'm sure she'd love to here from you."

"I doubt it." Liv chuckles.

"What happened between you guys that left you both in such a bad head space? I just have to know." I say, throwing my hands in the air and letting them fall to the table.

"She didn't tell you?" Liv asks curiously.

"She did, kind of. But you know how Mel is."

"Yeah, I do." Liv says absentmindedly, flicking a leaf off the table.

"So..." I urge.

"You really want me to tell you?" Liv asks in disbelief.

"No shit. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't."

          Liv takes a deep breath, folding her hands together in front of her.

"To make a long story short, Melony and I both just weren't ready for a serious commitment. I'm assuming she'd never been in one, and I'd been in so many that...I guess getting into another kind of scared me. And that fear we had led to unintentional sabatoge to the relationship from both sides. Eventually, it only made sense to just end it." Liv sighs.