Baby Fever

Baby Fever

Laurel's POV

It's been eerily quiet throughout the house for hours, and trying to make random noises to fill up the empty air has become exhausting.

I've done everything I need to do to be ready to leave for the flight tonight. My esuitcase is packed, and transportation has been arranged. Now, I'm restlessly wandering around the house cleaning things that aren't even dirty.

"UGH!" I scream out randomly in frustration.

I can't do this, I think to myself before rI run to my room for some shoes and my cell phone. Grabbing the first pair of shoes my hands land on, I end up shoving my feet

into my light brown wool boots.

I snatch my keys off the coffee table in the living room and jet out the front door. The crisp air whips through my hair and I eagerly climb into my car where I turn on the radio and blast it to it's max volume.

Cherishing the deafening bass beats of the song that's playing, I back out of the driveway and head down the street.

Its just the right temperature outside that I don't need my windows down or my air on. At first I drive aimlessly through town before I decide to make a coffee run. Jenny's not in so I'm able to get in and out of Starbucks in five minutes, give or take. And then I'm back in the state I was in before. The time on my phone says 6:15pm. Unfortunately giving me roughly about two hours of unoccupied time.

Setting my coffee in the car's cupholder, I wait for an idea to come to me. My thinking process is interrupted by the obnoxiously loud growling of my stomach.

Food. Pulling out of Starbuck's parking lot, my empty stomach leads me to the nearest fast food restaurant, Raising Cane's. The drive-thru line only has 2 cars in it but I decide to go in the lobby and order.

Inside, the cold air swirling around the building makes me wrap my arms around myself being that a good part of my upper body is exposed. After what happened with Steph, I got in the shower and stood there for about a good 30 minutes just trying not to think. Getting out, I just threw on what was the most convenient: a black crop top that says: BLACK LIVES MATTER in bold white letters that I got from a rally a college friend of mine had invited me to last year and some black joggers with PINK going down the pants leg.

Right now, I kind of wish I had put on something a little more covering. Rubbing my hands up and down my arms, I walk up to the front counter and begin to give the cashier my order. The cashier, who's name I learned to be Zaria, is just handing me my card back when someone calls my name from behind. Turning around expectedly, my eyes land on a skinny woman with a pretty caramel colored complexion and a cue but short haircut. She looks to be the same age as me, and in the back of my mind something is telling me that I know her. Obviously I have to know her if she knows my name.

"You don't remember me do you?" The girl smiles, walking towards me with a young a y in tow on her hip.

As she gets closer, I squint my eyes as I take in all of her features and I gasp when it comes to me.

"Devon!"

"Yeah!" She smiles closing the distance between us,giving me a one-arm hug.

"I didn't recognize you!" I admit. "You cut your hair and you're holding a baby! It only clicked when you got up close."

"I know, I've been getting that a lot lately." She chuckles, shifting the baby higher up on her hip. "I cut my hair after Aaron was born. Taking care of a baby and managing long hair doesn't mix."