I Love Her

I Love Her

Laurel’s POV

    Leaving the conference room that afternoon, I had to force myself to brush off the thought that I’m treating Alexa too harshly. I mean, I’m hardly doing anything to her compared to what she’s done. 

    That’s what I told myself as we all left the firm. Now, sitting in my driveway, away from all the influences of that cryptic place I’m starting to wonder if I was wrong. 

    There are very few people who’s opinions I value at the moment. One of which was off somewhere on her second date with her new beau. Another probably making up a bunch of assignments she’s about to miss for the next two weeks or so. The one I just reunited with is probably lying next to her daunting fiance in a totally different time zone. And the last one, right on the inside of the house. The decision has practically made itself. 

    Mentally exhausted, I get out of the car and make my way to the front door. The inside of the house is cool as usual but not quite like it normally is around this time. Music is playing from the house’s surround-sound speakers. Listening closely, I realize that I recognize the song. “Let Me Love You” by Mario. This morning before I left, I have Steph the email address and password to my Youtube account and told her to go and look at my playlists. I see she settled on the “SEXY LOVE” playlist. 

    Setting my stuff down, I walk into the kitchen. Surprisingly, I see Steph twirling and dancing as she fixes herself lunch, I assume. 

    I can’t help the smile that spreads across my face/ I watch her for a minute or two before she spins in my direction and accidentally bumps into me. She shrieks and jumps in surprise. 

“Hi.” she smiles embarrassingly. 

“Hey.” I chuckle, letting my hands rest on her waist. 

“You scared me.” she blushes. 

“I know.” I laugh. 

“How long have you been standing here?” she asks, moving away from me to stir something on the stove. 

“Long enough to know you have some serious dancing skills.” I tease her, hopping onto the counter. 

“Well, I was a stripper in my past life.” She jokes, coming to stand in between my legs, her hands resting softly on my bare thighs. 

“I can tell.” I play along. 

    Smiling, she wraps her arms around my neck and reaches up a little until our lips meet. Her lips tastes like chocolate and the scent of her perfume surround me, calming my nerves. 

    She pulls away, and rests her forehead against mine. 

“How was work?” she asks after a few moments of silence. 

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.” I answer, suddenly remember the advice I need from her. 

“Yeah?” 

“Um hmm.” 

“Okay.” she nods. “You talk and I’ll listen while I finish making lunch. Are you hungry?” 

“Starved actually.” I say, taking my heels off and letting them fall to the floor. 

    She goes into a cabinet and pull out another glass bowl, setting it next to hers. 

“I’m listening.” she says as she turns down the music coming out of the speakers until it’s simply background noise. 

“For starters, I quit yesterday.”