Arriving

Arriving

Laurel's POV

We land at JFK Airport in New York around 3:45 a.m. only to be rushed onto our connecting flight from there to London at 4:05am Much to my disbelief, Steph upgraded all of out flights to the highest class possible and made it round-trip, ballparking our flying expenses to roughly about 7 thousand dollars. I still disagree heavily with such a large amount of money being spent on something as silly as flights arrangements but I wouldn't dare complain again. Steph has this fascinating way of

teasing me to the brink of no return. I don't think I could calm my body down again if she decided to pull another one of her stunts.

Boarding the second plane to London , it's not long before we're both sound asleep in our own private little area. The time flies by and before we know it, a very helpful flight attendant is waking us up to tell us the plane has landed.

"When is it?" I ask groggily as we stand outside of the very busy London City Airport.

er"Um, with the eight hour flight and the 5 hour time difference, I'm guessing it's about 5:30 p.m. on Thursday." Steph answers, brushing her hair out of her face as a light wind passes over us.

exp

I pull out my phone to check her approximation.

"You're right." I smile, looking at my home screen.

Thanks to 21st century technology, my phone has already accounted for our shift in time zones.

"Of course I am." Steph winks.

Rolling my eyes playfully, I ask:

"When does our next flight leave?"

"This was our last flight. Oxford is only a couple of hours from here. I don't think it would be wise to rent a car in London. We should wait until we get to Oxford. So we can either take a train or a bus for the remaining distance to Oxford. It's your choice." Steph tells me.

"What do you think we should do? You're the travel expert." I smile.

"I think it would be easier to go by bus since they leave more frequently than trains, and is a lot cheaper."

"Now you're concerned about the price of our transportation after what you just spent on our flights?" I arch my eyebrow.

"No, of course I'm not." she laughs. "I just figured it would make you more comfortable."

"How considerate of you." I banter sarcastically.

"Oh be quiet." Steph smiles. "So do you have a problem with the bus or is it a go?"

"We can take the bus. I'll just need to call Mel when I find out what station in Oxford we'll be ending up at so she can come get us."

"Alright, well we'll need a taxi to take us to the nearest bus station. Let's see if I still got it." she grins mischievously.

"Got what?" I ask confused.

She doesn't answer me. Instead she steps off the elevated piece of concrete and peers down the busy road, her eyes crinkling around the edges. She must find what she's looking for because she reaches back to where she was standing and tries to drag her heavy suitcase off the platform and down beside her, making it evident that she's struggling. A wheel on her suitcase refuses to make the transition to the lower level of ground. She throws her head back and sighs in defeat as she runs her hand through her hair. Almost as if on cue like 3 black London taxis screech to a stop just a few feet away from her. The first man to get out the cab and get to her was an older man with a head full of black and grey hair and a fairly attractive face.