A Day Out

A Day Out

Steph's POV

          After breakfast, I clean up the kitchen for something to do while I wait for Eden to get dressed. While washing the dishes, my mind can't help but wander to last night. Somehow I managed to avoid thinking about it while I was getting dressed this morning, but after seeing Laurel this morning its kind of inevitable.

         I remember arguing with Robert, which unfortunately has become the norm. Then finding Laurel on the ground outside my door. It was a pleasant surprise. Being things have been kind of down around here, or for me anyway. One thing led to another and there was crying. Later on, caressing. And not the kind that goes on between a stepmother and daughter. That's what's confusing me so much. It felt different. But not different bad. It actually kind of felt...good. To be held. God knows I haven't been held like that in quite awhile.

         Sighing, I let out the dish water and grab a kitchen towel to dry my hands.

"Mommy, I'm ready." I hear Eden say.

          Composing myself, I put the kitchen towel on the counter and turn to face her.

"You look great lovebug." I compliment her.

"Thank you." She smiles, twirling around in her light pink tutu. "Laurel helped me pick it out."

"It's very pretty my baby." I coo, scooping her up in my arms and spinning her around.

          She squeals happily, and wraps her little arms around her neck.

"Are you ready to go Mommy?"

"I am. Just let me go get my purse." I say, setting her down.

          As I'm setting Eden on the ground her shirt rises, showing her stomach.

"Here, let me fix this for you." I murmur, pulling her shirt down.

          Putting my hands on my thighs, I lift myself back up into a standing position just as Laurel walks in.

"Look Mommy, we match!" Eden says, running to stand next to Laurel.

          Laurel's silk blouse is the same color as Eden's tutu. And Laurel's skinny jeans and Cami are the same shade of white as Eden's shirt. They finished it off with Eden's pink velcro sandles with an adorable pink daisy on them, coordinating with Laurel's pink stilletos.

"It's very cute." I nod.

"It was Edie's idea " Laurel laughs, pulling her cami down over her waist and tying the ends of her pink blouse at her hips.

"Where to?" I ask, trying to sound casual.

"First to Starbucks." Laurel smiles. "No other Starbucks makes my Caramel Macchiato like ours can." She laughs. "Then to see some old friends and apply for a summer job."

"You don't have to get a job." I tell her, "Everything is well taken care of here."

"Oh, I know." She sighs, "But Eden and I have made some special plans for the summer, some of them quite expensive and  I'd hate to bother you guys for money."

"It's no bother." I say, staring deeply into her hazel eyes.

"I should go." She finally says, smiling apologetically.

          She pulls her black MK purse off the counter by its long gold shoulder chain and slips her iPhone in her front pocket.

"I'll see you later Edie. Have fun at Sara's." She says, kissing Eden on the cheek.