Unsaved Numbers

Unsaved Numbers

Laurel's POV

The chirping sounds of nature and the light breeze of Texas air soothes my growing headache as I drive through town, my car windows slightly ajar. Turning into my driveway I grab my phone and laptop carrier and walk tiredly up yo and through the front door of the house. I round the corner into the living room and find a sleepy looking Eden staring endlessly at the TV screen.

I take a seat next to her and shake her leg gently. She looks up at me and smiles, jumping up to give me a hug I squeeze her little body before setting her back down on the couch.

"Where have you been?" Eden cries happily.

"Work. Today was my first day." I explain.

"I bet you did great." Eden smiles.

"Oh, I hope so." I sigh. "So, how was your sleepover at Sara's?"

"Really fun." Edie nods with excitement. "Mrs. Hannah even let us eat ice-cream after 9. But don't tell Mommy."

"Don't worry Pumpkin. Your secret's safe with me." I wink, tickling Edie under her chin.

Eden smiles, turning back to the TV.

"I'm going to go jump in the tub, hun." I pat Eden's arm.

She nods, suddenly paying really close attention to the cartoons on TV. I get up from the couch and start down the hallway. Staring down at my aching feet as I walk, I run into a wall nearly falling on my behind. Lucky for me, someone reaches out and catches me. Looking up I realize it was Steph. Duh Laurel, who else would it be?

"Hey." Steph smiles.

"Hi." I breathe.

"How are you? I haven't heard from you all day." Steph asks.

I facepalm myself.

"Crap. I was suppose to text you at lunch but I got so caught up."

"It's fine." Steph dismisses it. "How was your first day anyway?"

Shifting my weight from one foot to another, I feel the sharp pains rising from the heels of my feet into my calves as a result from wearing these damn 5-inch heels all day.

"I'd love to tell you that very long story and go through all the gory details with you, but I really need to get out of these shoes. My feet are killing me." I groan, placing my hand on the nearest wall to steady myself.

"Ok." Steph laughs. "I could stop by your room later after I put Eden to bed if you want."

"That's the best idea I've heard all day." I sigh in happy relief.

Steph blushes a little, leaning in to hug me. I wrap my arms around her waist, breathing in her enchanting perfume.

"Sounds like a date." She says when she pulls away.

Smiling sheepishly, she walks away leaving me in the hallway alone. I exhale exhaustively and continue to my room. Kicking off my shoes at the door, I close my eyes from the slight release of pain. Trudging to my bathroom, I start my bath water in the jacuzzi tub pouring in pink jasmine bubble bath and lots of New York bath salts.

Making sure there's a towel in reach, I begin to strip, leaving all my clothes sprawled across the bathroom floor as slip into the scowling hot water. I watch sleepily as the water rises around me in the tub and the bubbles increase. Eventually the water's almost to the point of overflowing and I turn off the water and turn on the pressure shoots that send jolts of vibrations through the water.