Chapter 23

Camille:
When Abel came over I was still on edge about the other day. I wasn't opposed to the idea of marrying him...I just wasn't ready for it and the fact that he was, or seemed like he was, scared the fuck outta me.

"Why are you actin' so weird?"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are, you've barely said anything since I got here, and you didn't talk to me at all yesterday."

"Ooh...I-"

"Are you mad about the prenup thing? I didn't mean-"

"No, I'm not mad about that." I rolled my eyes. "I just been thinking about some stuff, that's it."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Okay...um the prenup thing didn't make me mad but it just freaked me out. Like...are you trying to get married?"

"I told you that was a hypothetical question."

"Abel I'm serious..."

"Honestly, I was thinking about it and-"

"Marriage is a huge commitment...and I don't think we're ready for that at all..."

"Why do you say that?"

" 'Cause what if things don't work between us? Then we'll both be miserable 'cause we rushed and got married before we were ready."

"I know you're just hesitant 'cause I've been an asshole before, but I want to be with you for the rest of my life Camille. We don't have to get married next week or anything." He laughed. "I'll wait as long as you need me to."

"Okay." I smiled. "Now I feel a little-"

His phone rang and instead of answering he just silenced it.

"Who was it?"

"No one important."

I grabbed his phone to look for myself since he wasn't gonna tell me. The call was from Bella, and so were his six unread messages.

"Are you still fucking with her?"

"No, she-"

"You know what, I don't even care."

"Cami it's not like that, she just keeps calling me-"

"I gotta go pick up Ava and AJ from school. Please don't be here when we get back."

Now the whole conversation we just had didn't even matter. How could he supposedly wanna spend the rest of his life with me but still have her blowing up his phone?