The Blind Beggar

A young girl, on her way back from school, decides to take a shortcut to get home faster. On her way, she sees a beggar. Her mum told her that she must be cautious when it comes to strangers lurking in the streets, so she decides to ignore him, and pretend that he wasn't there. But, as she walks past the man, the beggar grabs her leg, so that she almost falls over.
"Hello, " the man said, "could you do me a favour. I am blind, and I need someone to deliver this letter for me would you do it... What's your name?"
"I am Madeleine, sir," the girl said, shyly.
"Ah, a young lady. Please deliver this, " he said, handing her the envelope.
"But make sure you don't read it! It is for the recipient's eyes only! Now, hurry it's getting late, " the beggar warned.
But, Madeleine being the smart girl that she is, goes straight to the police station, and hands in the envelope.
The policeman opens the envelope, and the message was horrifying.
"Miss Madeleine, it looks li,e they were going to kill you," the policeman said.
Madeleine was not surprised, she just shrugged.
"How did you know the man was lying?" Policeman asked.

How did she know? P.S. This short story was based on real events during the Victorian era!