Mike (Mike) Bungee

Mike had had enough of being the weak one. All his life, his friends had made fun of him for not being strong, for not being brave. Usually, his friends were just joking, and he could even laugh at some of the things they said. At other tmes when his confidence was really low, he felt sad and let the thing they said pull him down. He couldn't stand it anymore. He was brave and was going to prove it. 

He had purchased a bungee jumping rope online. Mike was going to prove to his friends that he wasn't a coward like they said. He had followed all the instructions on the packaging of the rope, had measured the way from the railway bridge to the ground and checked the safety of the attachment at the top of the bridge multiple times. 

His friends all gathered around to see him. They stood on the bridge, some biting their nails, and waited in suspense for him to step off the bridge and free fall for a few meters before being flung back up. When he finally jumped, his friends watched in admiration from the top of the bridge. However, he hit the ground and died. 

What happened? Even though he measured and double checked everything, how did he still die? 

Creds  heartwritings