Out For A Swim

Mattheo turned 87 on a hot summer's day. His family weren't awake yet, so he decided to go for a swim. 

He loved water; loved the way it caresses his skin like silk, it's cold touch refreshing. 

He thought of all these things on his way down to his, rather large, swimming pool. He had spent most of his money on it, but then again, he was so rich he still had plenty to go around. He threw the towel on the ground and glanced up the hill, where his prestigious mansion rested like a crown atop the Queen's head. He saw his nephew, Prince. 

Prince had always been a bit sour towards Mattheo. He never had time for Prince, but then again, all Prince thought about was the inheritance. Mattheo waved, but Prince still just stared down at him, as if he was a king and had just sentenced a prisoner to his death. Mattheo got a shiver down his spine and quickly turned around. 

He was so captured in his thoughts, his fear of what Prince was doing, what was going through his head, that he did not even realise that he had reached the top of the diving board. As he reached the top, he turned around to look for Prince, but he had vanished. Mattheo let go a sigh of relief, and decided to his most famous trick; the backwards somersault. Despite his age, Mattheo was still entirely flexible. He walked to the end of the board, turned around, and jumped off it. He did the famous somersault. He hit bottom, and died. 

Why did he die? 

Creds to @ebimoagbeotu